X

Float height waaay off!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Float height waaay off!

This morning I was reverting my Ivans jet kit back to OEM. After that was done I was checking the float height, there was none! The float was hitting the inside of the carb bowl. That might explain the overall richness and low MPG. The height as-is was 8.5mm, the factory service manual says 13mm height. Here's a pic of the difference between the two heights.

In the pic below, the first float (right arrow) is now adjusted to the correct height. The second float (left arrow) is at the original float height. All the floats were at that 8.5mm height.

Last edited by squiggy; 06-20-2010, 06:53 PM.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

hmmm, who previously adjusted the floats?
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Hmmm looks like all the pressure is against the float due to the carb angle.

When you adjusted the floats you sure the floats were not compressing the needle all the way?

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
        hmmm, who previously adjusted the floats?
        I don't think they were ever adjusted. Even by me when I installed the jet kit. All of the tangs were untouched, unbent.

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
        When you adjusted the floats you sure the floats were not compressing the needle all the way?
        That angle is primarily to facilitate the picture capture. When I checked and adjusted them I just allowed the float to flop or lay down in place.

The only carb condition I have right now is a mild unresponsive throttle at a stand still. When I blip the throttle there a delay in response to the rpms. I did snyc the carbs afterwards as well.
        Last edited by squiggy; 06-20-2010, 10:52 PM.

Comment

adjust back to factory spec using a caliper.....most jet kits dont require float height changes (ive never delt with ivans) also check that the float needles are still good

Comment

So squiggy, have you noticed a difference after the adjustment?
            2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
            2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
            1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
            1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
            1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
              So squiggy, have you noticed a difference after the adjustment?
              In the sense of mpg no I haven't, it's still to early to tell.

After re-reading Factory Pro's carb tuning procedure, Terry I think your right. From what I remember while doing the measurements is that the tangs were compressing the float plunger spring. I'll have to tear it apart and check/adjust the tangs.

Yesterday the bike ran OK when it was still warm, but this morning, when cold, the idle and low speed is faily poor. It runs fine at high throttle opening but not so at, say 1/4 opening.

Comment

OK, so after work yesterday I took apart the carbs again and it does look like I adjusted the floats wrong. Afterwards I buttoned it up and took it out for a spin, it ran much, much better. However, at idle I have a 200 rpm oscillation.

Then I rode it to work this morning at it is still too lean. I stiil have sputtering and spitting sound coming from the exhaust. I think the original settings were correct after all. I doesn't take very long for the engine to warm up before it runs better as it did before I raised the float level.

Boo on me.

Comment

Working...
                X