Cylinder block really stuck

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder block really stuck

Hey guys and girls!
    Im trying to replace cam chain on my pre GSX 750 F but I'm not able to remove the cylinder block. Haynes says to simpli pull it off but it's so damn stuck (yes, I did remove the nut in front). I am only able to get a minor crack between the block and lower end so the oil crawls out a bit.

I have tried to beat it with a rubber hammer too.

Would appreciate any help or ideas.

I can't help you with cylinder block removal, sorry, but here's another idea.
    A friend of mine changes cam chain like this.
    Break the chain, connect it to the old one... turn the engine until it comes out again, and re-connect.
    Needs new connecting link, but saves you hours of work. And a plus, you don't have to fiddle with setting correct timing.

Comment

Yeah, well thats what a friend of mine succested also. I thought it wasn't such a good idea as the engine goes up to almost 14k RPM. And i don't know where can i get a new connecting link.

Anyway, as I'm already that far, the block gasket is ruined and needs to be replaced. Oh well, guess i'll buy a decent hammer and hit the engine with a wooden stick with it. And maybe hanging it up to ceiling.

Comment

I dont think he meant to have the motor running....you turn it over manually.

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Villu_EST View Post
          Yeah, well thats what a friend of mine succested also. I thought it wasn't such a good idea as the engine goes up to almost 14k RPM. And i don't know where can i get a new connecting link.

Anyway, as I'm already that far, the block gasket is ruined and needs to be replaced. Oh well, guess i'll buy a decent hammer and hit the engine with a wooden stick with it. And maybe hanging it up to ceiling.
          Smart decision, I would never trust a connecting link to stay together. I might, MIGHT try it if you could find a rivet type link. As for the block, trying turning the motor over by hand sometimes that will break it free. If not, the locating dowels might be rusted. Try rocking the block back and forth (put your purse down) while lifting up. I have used a plastic tool to gently pry up to break the dowel free.
          Last edited by kevin2502000; 06-17-2010, 11:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

NEVER use a connecting link on a motorcycle... only rivet type

Comment

Problem solved Just needed some extra tapping and help from my dad to pry both sides at the same time.

Do i really need to remove clutch and oil pan in order to get off the upper crankcase part?

Comment

Yes.
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
                X