X

Trouble Starting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble Starting

Hey guys, I just got my Katana about a week ago and have to say that I absolutely love the bike. It's a 1993 750, which is a huge upgrade from my 1989 VT250 Spada.

So once the bike is warmed up it runs great but if it's been sitting I have trouble getting it started. Most of the time if I put the choke on about half and give the bike some gas it will start right away but sometimes I can't get it to start the first time. It then seems like the engine gets flooded which makes it a pain in the *** to get the bike to start afterwards. Just wondering what could be wrong or what I need to check?

Sorry for the newbness and also if this is a repeat of a commonly asked question.

Thanks alot!

hello!!!~ i jus got my 1100 last week and had identical symptoms, all you need to do is clean the carbs, get a can of carb cleaner, and pull the caps and the bowls off, remove the jets and let them soak in a small cup of the solvent for bout a hour, use wire brush bristles to clean the pilots(the slim ones) assemble everything the way it came apart, take ur time it aint that hard...
    sigpic "never ride without all the proper gear"

Comment

I had a 90 600 and the carbeurator kept it from starting. A good clean and my kat fired right up every time
      That's what I call a good time

Comment

...use wire brush bristles to clean the pilots...
        Try not to use wire when cleaning carb parts. Instead try to find something plastic (like a fishing line). Parts in carb are made of softer metal (brass, aluminum) than wire brush bristles (steel), and you may deform jet holes.
        Always use softer material than the one you're cleaning.

Comment

mmm... true that!!! you could find a welding tip cleaning kit that would work too
          sigpic "never ride without all the proper gear"

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I'll get to it this weekend.

Comment

Working...
            X