X

Is this sparkplug running lean?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this sparkplug running lean?

Supposed to be tan in color, mine are coming out looking damn near new except for a bit of junk at the edges. Lean? Doesn't want to idle after it gets really hot, but if it's lean I think the culprit might be something else.

how long have they been run for?
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

100km

Comment

WOW I have never seen a plug that clean after being run!

The bit carbon buildup on the ground strap make me think it might be to hot a plug and not running lean. But it could still be running to lean and burning off any deposits from the hot plug. Boy I bet that doesn't help one bit!

100km isn't that long though.
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
        Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
        R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
        1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
        RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
        3BBB turn signal mirrors,
        Black painted seat and rear trim,
        Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

I wouldn't trust the plug at 100km. I would run it for another 200km and then see what it looks like. I don't see anything about that plug that looks unsafe at all, but if it comes out looking exactly the same after another 200km, then you are probably running just a little bit lean under light throttle.

Mind you, I'm not a race engine builder or anything like that, but with carbon on the body, none on the insulator, and no discoloration of the strap, that's what I would say. Also, make sure that those are the correct plugs for your engine, and that they are properly torqued (since the threads have carbon on them as well).
          Last edited by loudnlow7484; 06-07-2010, 09:11 PM.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I'll go for a burn with it and post some new pics in a few days.

Comment

Nice chart!
              I wish I could print it in the correct colors for the shop wall!
              Super.
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
              Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
              R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
              1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
              RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
              3BBB turn signal mirrors,
              Black painted seat and rear trim,
              Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Reading plugs is an art and very easy to mess up. That being said, the place you look to read the plug is at the base of the insulator. You want to see a tan to brown ring down there. Plugs can only be properly read after a run and immediate shut down from the speed / load at which you are doing the setup. Then to take another reading you need to install a new plug so as not to confuse your findings.

Comment

You could always go to an emissions test station and just have it measured. Then you'll know exactly how rich/lean your mixture is. It's best done over a range of RPMs on a dyno, but the emissions places usually test it at idle and at like 3-4000 rpms which will be fine.

Comment

the plug in my raptor looked like that after a air box mod and removing the baffle, bumping the needle down a notch fixed er up...
                    sigpic "never ride without all the proper gear"

Comment

Working...
                    X