X

camshaft and timing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camshaft and timing

ok. i had a pretty much brand new kat. bike sat for a few years and had literally 700 miles on it when i got it. working a ton of OT i havent had time to ride it so i gave it to my brother . my brother seems to have an obsession with screwing with this bike and is making me regret giving it to him. long story short, he royally screwed up this time.

he was only supposed to change out a leaky valve cover gasket. this doofus , calling it a "bearing".....removed the intake camshaft "checking it for wear" .

i could have killed him.

i spent the better part of sunday with the clymer book and pulling out my hair trying to straighten what is effectively a new motor. i removed the intake cam and attempted to align it with the exhaust cam , but how do i know i have a correctly ? i got the bike started but it running like crap and stalls , so i figure the timing is still off.

my question is( take note, i know little about motorcycle engines and am very surprised i even got the thing started). how do i set the timing on this thing? do i have to keep adjusting the cam until i get it right ot do i just strangle my brother and take it to the shop. i dont wanna spent another 700 bucks on this bike.
    yes
    100.00%
    no
    0.00%

Kill your brother!!!
    Then check out Trinc's how to sticky in the mechanics 101
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Considering you posted at 8:00 this morning, I'd imagine the bike is now at the shop and your brother is dead....
      I ride, therefore I am.

Comment

Jeeez!!!
        What about the valves Thom??
        Could they be toast??!!?

Yea kill the brother but first having sign the bike back to you...

Comment

yes kill your brother but torture him cover him in molasses and tie him to and ant hill leave him for dead.

and like thaz kat said look up trincs page it will tell you how to line everything back up

Comment

thanks folks. gonna work on it this weekend. ill give an update.

Comment

Originally posted by DetroitKatana
              thanks folks. gonna work on it this weekend. ill give an update.
              Thanks, we all want to know how you did him in!
              I ride, therefore I am.

Comment

I thought there were notches on the end of the cams . When the rotor's at BDC or TDC , the marks are supposed to either face each other or point away from each other . Somebody wanna help me out here ?
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                  Jeeez!!!
                  What about the valves Thom??
                  Could they be toast??!!?

Yea kill the brother but first having sign the bike back to you...
                  I haven't gotten any info to know that. I think if he did not remove the cam right it is possible
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

in your manual it will say line the notches up tho the top of the head or line the dots up to each other. there should be so many links between each sprocket.
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    Who knows what is next?

Comment

OH BTW...
                      DetroitKatana was with us the whole time.....
                      Right guys!?!?!

Comment

I didn't see NOTHIN' .

Comment

We were all shootin pool at md86's house...Yeah, that what we were doin.....
                          I ride, therefore I am.

Comment

You may want to look into getting a Suzuki shop manual instead of the Clymers. I picked up a copy and I have been really impressed with how detailed it is. It does a great job of stepping you through a procedure. Make your brother pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by StraKat
                              We were all shootin pool at md86's house...Yeah, that what we were doin.....
                              I don't even HAVE a pool table . But Taz does , so THAT'S where we were at . Don't you remember , or were you too drunk ?

Comment

Working...
                              X