X

Quote from dealer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote from dealer

Hey Guys I have a 2001 600 and time for valve adjustment.I am one of these people that can not work on motors as I seem to break things when I do and it cost me alot more in the end.I emailed a shop to get a quote on the valves,My cam chain spring replaced and the carbs synced.This is the reply

valve adjustment 3.0 hrs @ 75.00/h
    cam chain tensioner 0.5 hrs @ 75.00/h
    parts for tensioner $ 110.00 + tax
    carb sync 1.0 hrs @ 75.00/h unless there is some other problem with carbs.

My question is does the spring for the cam chain not cost $10...what else am I paying for or did I ask this the wrong way to the dealer??

Looks like the dealer quoted you the price for the entire unit, not just the spring.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

$500 clams eh? I suppose it's only money.
      2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
      2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
      1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
      1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
      1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

where are you in "Canada" ?
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

rexazz2 I live in Halifax Nova Scotia

Comment

Now I know why do my own work!
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
            Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
            R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
            1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
            RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
            3BBB turn signal mirrors,
            Black painted seat and rear trim,
            Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by gamepad View Post
              rexazz2 I live in Halifax Nova Scotia
              sorry, not close enough to help you out
              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Is there a good independent MC mech. In your area? In my opinion dealers charge by the book and even if it only takes 1hr and the book says 3hrs they charge 3. If you can find a good local independent you might do much better.
                I'm lucky and can handle most everything myself. I personally hate my local dealer they hardly want to give me the time of day if I haven't bought a bike from them in the last five minutes.
                I bought 2 Bikes (dirt) from them in 2005 and a month later they acted like
                they had no idea who I was.
                It seams to be a trend these days, but they just want customers not clients.
                Sorry for the rant.
                hope you find some one who can help you get it done a little cheaper.
                Richard
                96 Suzuki GSX750F
                89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
                05 Yamaha WR450F
                05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                  sorry, not close enough to help you out
                  Ditto. Sorry. I visit family in Halifax every other year or so but not planning to this time.
                  2004 GSX750F

Comment

Once you get your plastics out of the way (about 30 minutes in your first time) its honestly a 30 minute job... Get a set of feeler gauges at Crappy Tire or Partsource and order the Suzuki Valve Adjustment Tool for like 10 bucks online and youll be set... I have stopped going to any mechanics, because after trying almost everyone around my area I have come to the conclusion that they are alllll trying to rip you off one way or another... 3 hours for a Valve Adjustment is plain BS... I am no mechanic by any standard and I did it using only my service manual...
                    01 VW GTI 1.8T, GT28RS Turbo Conversion, ACT 6 Pad Race Clutch Disc, ACT Prolite Flywheel, Coilovers, Stoptech Big Brake Kit, Neuspeed Full Turboback, Rare BBS RS-II Rims....
                    02 Katana 600, Stock

Comment

went to the stealership saturday to get the cct spring and they told me 159 and change for the spring and i laughed and said for the spring and the kid goes i thought u wanted the whole thing i said no i said the spring and he comes back with 2.99 but i got to order it. Do stealerships stock anything besides oil and filters anymore.
                      1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

Download the service manual and give the valve adjustment section a read. It's really not that hard to do. You can do it with a few basic tools, as long as you have somewhere you can work on the bike for a few hours.

As a first timer you'd be looking at a morning or afternoon of working on the bike. But if your honestly not comfortable doing it I'd second the recommendation of finding a local bike mechanic and getting another quote.
                        Kyle

Comment

Working...
                        X