X

carb float measuring pics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb float measuring pics

i need to see some pics of how to measure the floats in my 06 600 kat. from measuring the 14.2 mm off the bowl when upside down. i had to move every one of them alot. now my bike runs like crap!!! really need to see a pic of what they look like at the right measurement or someone holding the tool up when measuring . i have to be doing something seriously wrong.

Originally posted by fordfurious View Post
    i need to see some pics of how to measure the floats in my 06 600 kat. from measuring the 14.2 mm off the bowl when upside down. i had to move every one of them alot. now my bike runs like crap!!! really need to see a pic of what they look like at the right measurement or someone holding the tool up when measuring . i have to be doing something seriously wrong.

You have a post kat... your floats should be 13mm.

The 14s are for the pre kats.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by fordfurious View Post
      off the bowl when upside down. .
      You also don't want to measure the height with the carbs just upside down.

You will either have to hold them at an angle, or use your free hand and gently lift up on the float.
      Your goal is to set your measurement where they just barely touch the valve, but don't push down on it at all.

I made this mistake on mine as well.....

Comment

there we go, that is what i was trying to tell my mechanic friend and he said no , just let them sit

i knew it.

thanks.

i will fix tomorrow

Comment

It the height that closes the valve, but doesn't push on the valve spring.

93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but does the 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, etc.. on the floats themselves mean anything?

Also my #4 float seems to have more spring than the others (I haven't adjusted them yet) do I bend the metal tab to adjust the heights?

Which part of the float top am I supposed to measure to? The very edge? or the part that sticks up at the top?

Do I measure to 1 or 2?

Measure to 1 or 2 from the carb body?
            Last edited by Gold; 05-08-2011, 03:52 PM.
            1999 600 Katana
            sigpic

Comment

1 to the body. Thats the highest point.
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

First, thanks for the experienced advice. I thought mine were off from the factory about 10mm with them upside-down on the bench. But it ran ok, so I re-checked. Just like the pros here said: I found that if you hold the rack vertically, you can push the floats down to seat the needle and watch the spring push them back out - THAT is the correct height.

To eyeball them (someone can jump in here and correct me): hold the rack horizontal with your eye in-line with the edge of the floatbowls. The top of the bosses that hold the floats should be right in the center of that ridge that goes around the floats at the top. *Note* I use and recommend a float gauge - eyeballing stuff is only as accurate as your eye's last calibration
                Wherever you turn, wherever you go, if you get it wrong the least you can know: there's miles and miles to put it back together.
                G. Tipton, R. Halford, K. Downing

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X