X

Idle?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle?

!988 gsx1100f kat... The idle keeps going up and down when running and when adjusted keeps doing it. Also i get a lot of poping in the exaust any ideas. (sorry about spelling)
    Thanks!!!

Originally posted by kerschey View Post
    !988 gsx1100f kat... The idle keeps going up and down when running and when adjusted keeps doing it. Also i get a lot of poping in the exaust any ideas. (sorry about spelling)
    Thanks!!!

Vacuum leak somewhere around the carbs...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

how many vacume lines are there?

Comment

how many vacume lines are there?

Your carbs work on a vacuum that is created by the motor turning over. If a leak forms, then the air/fuel mixture tends to lean out and cause running issues, or the carbs simply do not function as they are supposed to.

A leak could form anywhere a rubber/plastic piece meets the carbs.... from the Air box, to the engine boots the carbs attach too.

Use a flamable gas like an unlit torch, or a low flamable spray like rubbing alchohol in a spritz bottle to find leaks. Squirt a little on a spot, if the rpms go up... you have found a leak point.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Find my post about my idle problems with my kat 1100.Typically, there should be one thing causing the problem, but my bike had to be different.
          I had...
          many things simultaneusly causing idle problems.Took like forever
          to get it all squared away, now runs great.

Comment

Thanks!!!
            More info please.
            How long have you had it?
            Did you ever clean the carbs? Ever serviced?

Sounds to me like a classic case of "it needs regular maintenance" to me. All the weird idle / studders should clear up when you do a tune up. Certain vacuum seals should be carefully inspected - all part of the service.

What say you?
            Last edited by akarob; 05-26-2010, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by akarob View Post
              More info please.
              How long have you had it?
              Did you ever clean the carbs? Ever serviced?

Sounds to me like a classic case of "it needs regular maintenance" to me. All the weird idle / studders should clear up when you do a tune up. Certain vacuum seals should be carefully inspected - all part of the service.

What say you?
              Just got it back from being serviced sunday had intake boots replaced carbs cleaned and sinked.

Comment

Also anyone know where I can find a factory air box cheap. I think the k&n filters are causing some of the problem!!!

Comment

Seperates?Ugh!
                  you can find stock airbox on eBay, probably around $50. I got a set of corroded carbs and box for around $100. If you can find a deal like that, do it.
                  Chances are that your bike has a dynajet kit which you will have to replace. You will need main jets, slide springs, maybe new pilot air jets and maybe new emulsion tubes (my bike with dynojet ate them in no time)

Comment

Seems to me you really should use a dyno and and an emissions sniffer to tune K&N filters.

Comment

Originally posted by akarob View Post
                      Seems to me you really should use a dyno and and an emissions sniffer to tune K&N filters.
                      The big question is- has anyone gotten a kat1100 to drive/ run well
                      after installing a stage 3 kit with seperates?
                      I had a dj stage 1 with a k&n drop in and despite lots of fiddling, never ran as smooth as the day I put in a factory pro kit.It ran even better once I put a oem airfilter in it.

Comment

Working...
                      X