X

Clutch cable, Wait until it breaks?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch cable, Wait until it breaks?

Is there a mileage where it is a good idea to replace the clutch cable? Or just wait until trouble? I have 19000 miles on my original from 1994. Hardly lubed, but the bike has always been garaged.

If you're worried? Replace it, then you have no regrets..
    But inspect the lever end often. Any sign of fraying change it.
    I order two at once. And just recently have started carrying it on the bike (coiled under the side panel) You should lube a cable prior to install then you can make sure oil that you put in one end gets al the way through..

Comment

Any fraying, replace it! If it looks good you may want to just lube it but if your worried about it just replace it. There is enough to worry about on a bike without adding something that is easily fixed.
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
      Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
      R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
      1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
      RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
      3BBB turn signal mirrors,
      Black painted seat and rear trim,
      Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

I forgot about my fraying clutch cable before going on a road trip...

Comment

whoops
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

replace it

Comment

I imagine if it breaks at the wrong time, you could be in some trouble. Imagine getting on it, pulling in the clutch at 10k RPM to shift into third, and having the clutch snap.

Comment

Thats what I thought. Just replace the cable. I would like to be able to take the kat on a short trip and I don't want trouble. Is the OEM Suzuki part good or is there a preferred aftermarket available? Going to call the dealer right now....

Ok...$12.99 from the dealer. Says it's the complete cable and it looks like its a 3 piece design. Sounds too cheap to me, I was expecting $60 plus for the genuine Suzuki part.
                Last edited by MeowKat; 05-26-2010, 01:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Nah...
                  The aftermarket is only a little cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                  X