X

New Rider, Cant shift into 5th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rider, Cant shift into 5th

Hey community. New rider as of Saturday and owner of a 94 Katana 600. Seems to run very descent and has 23,000 miles on it. I'm about to take it to a friends house that works on em but figured I'd become a member and pick your brains as well.

This is probably an extremely noob question - Am I supposed to have to up shift through neutral when going from first to second? And I cannot shift past 4th gear, what could be the problem?

I've pretty much figured out everything else so far on my own - how to ride, reconditioned the chain, tightened it. I've been reading the other noob postings as well and have gathered some very good info for being a first time rider - thank u for that and feel free to add what u think should be added.

neutral is 1/2 click up from 1st and 1/2 click down from 2nd. try pulling up a little harder from 1st-2nd if it doesn't go then something is wrong... im not the most mechanically inclined person here by far but welcome to KR and im sure you will get much better responses than mine shortly.
    Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

You should definitely get that checked out, that is not normal for a healthy kat. Welcome to KR!
      sigpic

Signature was getting too long, check my garage for list of mods.

Comment

Update: Bout two hours after that post (3rd day riding) i was out on a ride and a car didnt see me n pulled out in front of me. I slammed on the rear brake and if the driver wouldnt have heard it screeching it would have resulted in a guarenteed faceplant on the other side of her car. Lessons learned - use front brake and always watch every street.

As far as the bike goes I found out 2nd gear is shot (wasnt neutral I was shiftin thru to get from first up to next gear) The mechanic i talked to said the ballpark figure of cost to fix it is between $800-$1500. Is this reasonable and would it be any cheaper to do somethin different.

Im still proud of the bike it runs very nice rides nice brakes good and only paid $900 for it so all this doesnt come as much of a disappointment and i knew there was somethin wrong with the gearbox when i got it just didnt kno what. Your input will help!!!

Comment

To change the tranny you gotta take out the whole engine and split it. Would almost be worth dropping in a newer engine
          ...peaking from under a sleeping bag..."Hi, I'm Zuma"

I'm already in a club but we have Bombers, Fighters and Big Friggin Guns!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pacerman View Post
            To change the tranny you gotta take out the whole engine and split it. Would almost be worth dropping in a newer engine
            +1, you can get a functioning motor for close to what he quoted you.
            sigpic

Signature was getting too long, check my garage for list of mods.

Comment

i dont know much bout bikes what ur sayin is the gearbox is pretty much internal and id be better off just gettin a whole new motor that would come w a gearbox?

Comment

Scratch that last question thanks for your input. Any sources besides ebay? something more guarenteed?

Comment

There are a lot of wrecked bikes that the engine is good in. Look for a B12 engine. you'll thank me in the morning
                  ...peaking from under a sleeping bag..."Hi, I'm Zuma"

I'm already in a club but we have Bombers, Fighters and Big Friggin Guns!!!

Comment

^ +1
                    Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

You could also check out cl, no gaurantees there either, but it will be local and probably cheaper.
                      Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

C'mon guys he's a new rider, he doesn't need a B12 yet, he just about biffed it already.

Stick with a 600 for now and enjoy your life and take an MSF course if you haven't already.

Welcome to KR and be safe!

The B12 fever will come. I have it, but have logged 9000Km on my Kat and it's my 4th bike and I have been riding 11 years. Get some safe miles under your belt first.

Comment

Working...
                        X