X

Oil?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil?

Eversince my kat was first purchased it has always had a oil smell to it. It reminds me of a boat motor. I don't see smoke or oil coming out of the exaust. I assumed it was from being a oil/air cooled engine. It does not appear to be losing oil either. Maybe the some oil dripped on the engine when first filling it up at the dealorship.The bike is a 2006 with only 1380 miles. I'm the second owner, but have always been present in it's use. It formerly belonged to my girl friend.

Well Motorcycles do smell like oil, and gas...

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
      Well Motorcycles do smell like oil, and gas...
      A+

All the vents are right there and they do smell of gas and oil. As long as it's not smoking from an active oil leak it's probably OK. Any oil spilled when new is long gone. I just changed my oil and made a mess over everything. The smoke and smell stopped after 5 mi.
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
      Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
      R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
      1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
      RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
      3BBB turn signal mirrors,
      Black painted seat and rear trim,
      Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

I was just a little worried, because the sv650s did not make the same smell. Maybe it's the difference in water cooled vs oil cooled. Thinking about it now it's similar to an old oilheater in smell. It also has minor problems idleing till warming up. I'm having problems removing float bowl screws, and I don't want to breat or strip them. I was thinking of getting Ivan's jet kit, cleaning the carbs, and replacing the bolts with the included Allen head bolts. Would that be a bad thing to do before adding a slip on pipe.I had a yoshimura pipe on my sv650s. It was a little loud, but the quality of the pipe was great. I don't want a loud annoying pipe that offends my neighbors. I just want cars to be aware of me. It's taking time for me to get used to an online four vs a V twin (power , and sound) I don't want it to be a squid bike.

Sorry I meant to type break bolts, and later inline four.
        Last edited by dayzeedawg; 05-12-2010, 02:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
        X