X

starter cover

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter cover

so after all my idle issues I went to replace a small oil leak on the starter cover the previous owners used silicone to seal and didn't do the best job. I took off the cover and noticed the po overtorqued the two lower bolts and broke the engine part of the threads. So now my question if I put a genuine suzuki gasket on with some copper rtv will this hold fine I really don't feel like rplacing the bottem end?

just to be a little bit clearer the threads are not just stripped the actual top part of the hole broke off so a screw will still screw in but it can obviously be pulled out with some wiggling

Try a tad longer screw, if it's isn't able to be tightened it will leak. If that doesn't work you might have to try some cold weld that can be tapped or pay for an aluminum welder to fill it in.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

well i added some copper rtv on both sides of a new gasket i followed the directions on the tube and allowed it to get tacky, i set it in place with mild pressure and let it cure for about 6 hours then i fully tightened all the screws hoping that it makes a tight seal and doesnt leak. I will be able to find out later tomorrow afternoon, im hoping it works. BTW any know if the very bottom half of the engine from a 92 750 will fit my 96 600. Its just the bottom inch or so of the engine block nothing else. Im hoping so since i have a 750 engine on my parts bike. Please please please say yes haha. Ill post how it goes tomorrow

**EDIT**
      Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
      Try a tad longer screw, if it's isn't able to be tightened it will leak. If that doesn't work you might have to try some cold weld that can be tapped or pay for an aluminum welder to fill it in.
      Cold weld as in JB Weld?? I was thinking about this but wasnt sure if its max temerature would be fine. I know the oil in the pre katanas can get pretty warm so i didnt want jb weld melting or something and getting sucked through the engine!
      Last edited by franky_402; 05-10-2010, 07:09 AM. Reason: more ?'s

Comment

*shakes head*

When your fix leaks, just fix it correctly with a helicoil. The helicoil fix will be easy and stronger then the original.

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
        Seriously? Your best suggestion is fill it with weld?

The longer bolt fix is a good suggestion though.
        Last edited by akarob; 05-10-2010, 03:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by akarob View Post
          *shakes head*

When your fix leaks, just fix it correctly with a helicoil. The helicoil fix will be easy and stronger then the original.
          I can't helicoil it as I stated the bolt hole broke off. So only half of the thread and hole is there

Comment

I would back fill with aluminum weld, and machine it back to specs... but then I know people that would do that for me just to have fun and say the did...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
            X