X

Put stock exhaust on, now wont run?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put stock exhaust on, now wont run?

Hey all, just a quick question. My brothers katana (pre, 94 600) had a 4-1 kerker on it when we got it. It was beyond loud, and even after repacking...it made his ears bleed. Anyway, we took it off to put on his shift kit and found out that the #3 header was mangled where it went into the block! We actually had to bend it (slightly) at the collector to get to the last exhaust bold.

So, after doing the shift kit, etc, we found an OEM 94 kat 600 exhaust and stuck it on.....but it wont run with it?! we started it up, and got all sorts of pops at first, then that stopped..but his usually perfect running bike (crisp throttle response, zero warm up time, etc) was slow revving, and would get stuck around 5k rpm. All the vaccum lines are just like they were before, we havent changed a thing. ANY Ideas? Just getting frustrated trying to figure out why it would do this...

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
    Hey all, just a quick question. My brothers katana (pre, 94 600) had a 4-1 kerker on it when we got it. It was beyond loud, and even after repacking...it made his ears bleed. Anyway, we took it off to put on his shift kit and found out that the #3 header was mangled where it went into the block! We actually had to bend it (slightly) at the collector to get to the last exhaust bold.

So, after doing the shift kit, etc, we found an OEM 94 kat 600 exhaust and stuck it on.....but it wont run with it?! we started it up, and got all sorts of pops at first, then that stopped..but his usually perfect running bike (crisp throttle response, zero warm up time, etc) was slow revving, and would get stuck around 5k rpm. All the vaccum lines are just like they were before, we havent changed a thing. ANY Ideas? Just getting frustrated trying to figure out why it would do this...
    Is it jetted? If yes, that could be a problem depending on what jets and how it's tuned. The old exhaust will flow alot better than the stocker... so you may need to retune the bike for the added back pressure.

Krey
    Last edited by Kreylyn; 05-09-2010, 09:47 AM. Reason: spelling..
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Is it jetted? If yes, that could be a problem depending on what jets and how it's tuned. The old exhaust will flow alot better than the stocker... so you may need to return the bike for the added back pressure.

Krey
      retune not return,we all know what you meant.maybe put the old exaust back on.

Comment

Originally posted by the wind View Post
        retune not return,we all know what you meant.maybe put the old exaust back on.
        Yeah, what he said...

*I was up way to late last night working on Kat mods... *

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

"retune, return" Blagh, we know what you mean
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
          Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
          R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
          1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
          RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
          3BBB turn signal mirrors,
          Black painted seat and rear trim,
          Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

It's always a good idea to put something back on if you change something and now it wont run.
            If you put that exhaust back on let us know how it goes.
            I invite you to church.

Comment

Ill be slapping the kerker exhaust back on on wednesday...We took the pan off, cleaned everything and put the oil pan back on TWICE now...and its still got a drip leak(torque spec'd with a Nm tq wrench :P).

Yaay.
              Last edited by LAsunbird86; 05-10-2010, 12:05 PM.

Comment

You just have to rejet the carbs. The stock exhast will make the mixture rich if it was jetted for a free flow pipe. Try smaller jets.

Comment

If you decide to use the OEM exhaust make sure there aren't any mice nests in there. They LOVE exhaust pipes laying around. Had a yz400 once couldn't get it to run and that was the problem.
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Having a drip problem with the oil pan....is it safe to use RTV or some sort of liquid gasket sealer ontop of the pan gasket itself? ALL bolts are torqued to spec...but the pan still has a slow drip? The original pan gasket came out in about...15 pieces when we got it off

Comment

I always use a high temp RTV silicone gasket sealer. The trick is to use a very thin layer. If it squeezes out when you tighten, you used too much. Dab a little bit around the gasket and spread it thin and even with your finger.

Comment

Wow, this bike is just the gift that keeps on giving.

While cleaning out the oil pan, I noticed a hairline crack....yaay.

Got it fixed, and now I'm going to put it back together, hopefully it doesn't give us any more problems.

Comment

Working...
                        X