X

Clutch Cable problems?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Cable problems?

I suspect my clutch cable has stretched beyond spec. I did a by the book clutch adjustment with 4mm play in between lever and housing and i had issues shifting into gears as it wasnt fully dis engaging the clutch. After going for a ride i got home and went to push my bike to the back yard in first gear with the clutch in and i got alot of resistance which didnt seem normal . Clutch
    Cable stretched out of spec?
    For sale thread Album
    1991 Katana 600 - sold

Originally posted by Islandsteve View Post
    I suspect my clutch cable has stretched beyond spec. I did a by the book clutch adjustment with 4mm play in between lever and housing and i had issues shifting into gears as it wasnt fully dis engaging the clutch. After going for a ride i got home and went to push my bike to the back yard in first gear with the clutch in and i got alot of resistance which didnt seem normal . Clutch
    Cable stretched out of spec?
    Did you adjust only at the perch on the handle bar, or did you adjust any at the clutch cover as well?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well i adjusted everything like the manual said, on top of the sprocket cover, at the perch and on the slave mechanism, but shouldn't i be able to achieve 4mm of free play?
      Or could it be in the shift lever adjustment,
      Like its not turning the shift rod enough?

Well i adjusted everything like the manual said, on top of the sprocket cover, at the perch and on the slave mechanism, but shouldn't i be able to achieve 4mm of free play?
      Or could it be in the shift lever adjustment,
      Like its not turning the shift rod enough?
      Last edited by Islandsteve; 05-07-2010, 11:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      For sale thread Album
      1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

You should be able to take the rubber boot off the sprocket cover and watch the mechanism turn as you pull in the clutch. If it's not turning as you pull the clutch handle, or doesn't turn much at the beginning, but still offers resistance, I'd suspect a problem.

You did adjust this part right?

Comment

Yeah thats the part i adjusted. I also had it apart while i was cleaning up the inside of the sprocket cover. Im pretty sure i got it back together properly tho
          For sale thread Album
          1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

I'm getting exactly the same symptoms.
            I adjusted it as per this forum, http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64698 , but I've also have no adjustment left in the coarse adjustment and handle bar.

Do you still have some threads left in either?

Comment

Ya I've got threads left like, threads as in screw
              threads, what exactly did you mean by that.

Sometimes when I'm switching up a gear I get a clunky sound like if I was shifting without using the clucth, but not quite as bad. I'm just going to replace the cable anyways I think, unless it could be my clutch itself...
              For sale thread Album
              1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

I was thinking that if there were plenty of threads left in the coarse adjustment and at the lever then we should be able to adjust it so we can dis-engage the clutch fully. My problem is that I've no threads left in either (I'll need a cable regardless).
                I'm wondering now, as you have the same symptoms, that it more than just the cable...
                I'm going to pop across to the folk that service my bike today for a little direction.

I'll keep you posted to what information I get.

Comment

If you had it in gear with the clutch pulled in motor off, you are going to get resistance. You are pushing the bike against the compression stroke of the motor. When moving the bike around put it in neutral. I thought the same thing a few years ago on mine. Was having a brain fart and was like duh you are pushing and the motor is trying to turn over as if you are push starting it.
                  www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
                    If you had it in gear with the clutch pulled in motor off, you are going to get resistance. You are pushing the bike against the compression stroke of the motor. When moving the bike around put it in neutral. I thought the same thing a few years ago on mine. Was having a brain fart and was like duh you are pushing and the motor is trying to turn over as if you are push starting it.

Ah! that was my problem (engine not running) cheers

Tell you what though I've now got the new clutch cable on and have plenty of thread for adjustment now. I've adjusted it with the motor running sitting on the centre stand, changing gear to see when the motor would cut out (holding on the rear brake)... I adjusted it to the point that I'd change gear and the bike would keep idling.

Comment

God deal. Just never adjust it in gear. It will break things. I did that.
                      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by TypeZXRs View Post
                        Ah! that was my problem (engine not running) cheers

Tell you what though I've now got the new clutch cable on and have plenty of thread for adjustment now. I've adjusted it with the motor running sitting on the centre stand, changing gear to see when the motor would cut out (holding on the rear brake)... I adjusted it to the point that I'd change gear and the bike would keep idling.
                        Could you explain what you did a little more in depth
                        For sale thread Album
                        1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Working...
                        X