X

idle concern

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle concern

i've searched, and the only post i've found with this concern, had stock air boxes.

ok here the lowdown on my bike

1988, OLD style carbs
    new head to carb hoses o-rings
    carbs cleaned 4 times, all internal o-rings checked and good
    floats set at 14mm
    jets i think are 130s, but has stock needels.
    A/F screws at 2.5 turns out
    K&N pod filters
    Single exhaust, looks like a D&D full exhaust, but i think the PO hollowed out the can.

ok the problem im having is, it's a bear to get to idle cold, of course. but even after i get it warmed up, i can get it to idle around 1200, for about 30 seconds, then it starts to idle down more and more until it finally stalls. Also, i rode with a few buddys yesterday, and the one guy told me (after sitting at a light for a good while, holding the idle at about 1300 and revving a little here n there) it would kinda hesitate when i took off, and he said it gave off a puff of white smoke.

im thinking my main problem it two things: one, take the A/F screws out 1/4 to 1/2 turns out, and and or get correct needles for the jets. Any recommended jet kits?

also, new NGK plugs (not sure what P/N, and carbs are synched)
    Last edited by 88kat60009; 05-06-2010, 08:42 PM.

Originally posted by 88kat60009 View Post
    i've searched, and the only post i've found with this concern, had stock air boxes.

ok here the lowdown on my bike

1988, OLD style carbs
    new head to carb hoses o-rings
    carbs cleaned 4 times, all internal o-rings checked and good
    floats set at 14mm
    jets i think are 130s, but has stock needels.
    A/F screws at 2.5 turns out
    K&N pod filters
    Single exhaust, looks like a D&D full exhaust, but i think the PO hollowed out the can.

ok the problem im having is, it's a bear to get to idle cold, of course. but even after i get it warmed up, i can get it to idle around 1200, for about 30 seconds, then it starts to idle down more and more until it finally stalls. Also, i rode with a few buddys yesterday, and the one guy told me (after sitting at a light for a good while, holding the idle at about 1300 and revving a little here n there) it would kinda hesitate when i took off, and he said it gave off a puff of white smoke.

im thinking my main problem it two things: one, take the A/F screws out 1/4 to 1/2 turns out, and and or get correct needles for the jets. Any recommended jet kits?

also, new NGK plugs (not sure what P/N, and carbs are synched)
    Blip the throttle... if it hangs, it's lean. If it drops immeditately below idle rpms, or down then slowly drops off on idle.. it's rich.

Turning the A/F screws out from seated adds more fuel.

That is if you have everything mechanically sound and put on correctly. A messed up spring on one of the carbs, missed piece in the carbs, bad plug connections, etc... can cause issues that make things all kind of funky in how the bike wants to run/react to throttle input.

Do you have a factory air box to try as a baseline to ensure your pods are not messing with your setup?

Have you checked when the bike is running that all 4 exhaust tubes are aprox the same temp?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

no it dosent really hang. if i blip the throttle to like 4-5 grand, it drops back down to 1500, then idles, then dies. and everything seemed mechanically in order when i got them all back together. and no i dont have stock air box.

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat60009 View Post
        no it dosent really hang. if i blip the throttle to like 4-5 grand, it drops back down to 1500, then idles, then dies. and everything seemed mechanically in order when i got them all back together. and no i dont have stock air box.
        I would check to make sure you are firing on all 4 cylinders first. Check the temp once the bike is warmed up for each exhaust downtube... you can do this just by squirting them with water, and see if the water evaporates as quickly on all 4. If you notice one isn't, then you need to address the issue with that one specific cylinder.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

yes i have checked them like this before, and yes they all seem the same.

Comment

heh. at least you get get yours to start and even idle... i cant keep mine running.

Comment

Working...
            X