X

Changing chain and sprockets??????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing chain and sprockets??????

So yeah I'm getting ready to order a new chain and sprocket set from BRAUNSTEIN82 on his katanaoutlet.com site. I guess i just have a few ??
    for my fellow KR's.
    1) What sprocket set-up would you recommend for an 88 kat 600?
    ( Just a beginner so not looking to go to extreme just cruise @ 70+ mph)
    2) His 2 chain options TYC or RK Xso? Is one that much better than the other?
    Just looking for some opinions guys, and many thanks ahead of time.

BUMP.

I am also looking to get new chain and sprockets (along with the rest of KR apparently - Seriously? Why does EVERYONE suddenly need chain and sprockets??), and I'm looking for any info I can find.
    Nuff said.

Comment

Mee tooo, I need a set sometime in the near future. I'm still not sure if I'm goin with the 14/49 or 14/50 setup, I'm also considering a 15/50 setup not sure yet. I have the dreaded 2nd gear issue...it doesn't exist lol, so I'm tryin to get some more low end/mid range pep...i was told i should be able to just pull out in 3rd no prob with the bigger sprocket on the back, plus I want to be able to stand that baby up better, my stock 94 kat 600 isnt exactly a wheelie machine so hopefully the sprocket changes fixes that.

Comment

I personally have been very happy with RK chains (the RK standard oring is the stock chain put on the bikes). The XSO RK chain I'm using has been awesome, with now over 7k miles and not one adjustment needed from stretch yet!

I'm using a 15/50 on my pre 750.... I don't think I couldn't start out in 3rd solo... but it's still not going to be an "easy" option... alot of throttle and clutching to get over the hump I think. Not something I would want to do often. Just skipping 2nd gear wouldn't be an issue at all if your using 1st to start off.

I can start out in 2nd very easily though.

If you want crusing at 70, stick with the stock sizes. If you want more umpf on the take off... go up 1-3 teeth on the back sprocket. For each tooth you go up, you need about 200 rpms more to keep that cruise speed in 6th gear.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yeah no need in changing gearing if you are a new rider. Stay with the stock gearing. The RK chains a good chains. I run EK on mine. I am hard on chains and I managed to stretch my RK but that is not say you will. There are RK Chain Kits available. BRAUNSTEIN82 is a good guy and should be able to take care of you. If for some reason he can not hook you up let me know and I can help as well.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Working...
          X