Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

GP Shift Pattern Conversion - Anyone done it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP Shift Pattern Conversion - Anyone done it?

So lately I've been doing a good amount of reading into GP shifting and I've decided I'd like to do it myself. My 2nd gear is fried so I have to shift through it to 3rd everytime, but sometimes when it's high in the revs it grinds a little and I can't tell if I made the full two clicks up, and if I don't it falls into neutral and revs way up.. making me sound like a jackass . So, if I can get the full pressure of a downward step over a toe click upwards I'm thinkin it will help. Anyone done this to their Kats yet? If so, post a quick how-to? Thanks.
    '91 Kat 600 SF Project

A few have done it, all you do is flip the link

Comment

Not seeing how it could be that simple... I stared at it for at least 10 minutes trying to see how that could be possible and didn't come up with anything.
      '91 Kat 600 SF Project

Comment

Originally posted by JustinS View Post
        Not seeing how it could be that simple... I stared at it for at least 10 minutes trying to see how that could be possible and didn't come up with anything.
        You only flip the front part, the part on the actual shaft into the engine. The lever stays right where it is.

I haven't done it myself. I rode one bike with an upside down shift pattern, and I was constantly downshifting on accident.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Was reading the thread and decided to take a peek at my post 600 and this looks impossible because of the lack of clearance to the side stand switch and side stand mounting plate. I like the idea, but in the real world I think it would mess me up.

I think you would need a longer shifter rod to accommodate the reversed linkage and get your lever position correct as well.

While the topic is up, what are the primary advantages aside from being able to stand on the gearshift for upshifts?

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
            Was reading the thread and decided to take a peek at my post 600 and this looks impossible because of the lack of clearance to the side stand switch and side stand mounting plate. I like the idea, but in the real world I think it would mess me up.

I think you would need a longer shifter rod to accommodate the reversed linkage and get your lever position correct as well.

While the topic is up, what are the primary advantages aside from being able to stand on the gearshift for upshifts?
            Easier to upshift while in turns. To my best knowledge, that's why it's used in MotoGP. Also, I was thinking the same thing... there isn't enough clearance there. I actually had the pieces off to check and see if it would fit before I made this thread and it doesn't. I guess there really is no easy way to do it and I'm gonna have to drill some new holes for the sidestand/switch and move it a few inches towards the rear of the bike so I can flip that piece.
            '91 Kat 600 SF Project

Comment

Just thought I'd bring this back up today for a final attempt at figuring it out. My internet searches have been unsuccessful.
              '91 Kat 600 SF Project

Comment

Not sure about a Kat, but on my Bandit,I had to get rid of the sidestand switch & grind the tab for it off the sidestand. Gotta hook the 2 wires together to get it to start, & remember to put the stand up before riding off.
                1996 600 Bandit
                1955 HD Pan/Shovel
                1971 HD Superglide
                1987 1100 Sportster

Comment

Did this on my TL. Just flip the link. Eh...it was ok. I'm stock on my ride now.
                  Unless you're GP, who needs it...

Comment

Interesting but why?
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                    Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                    R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                    1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                    RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                    3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                    Black painted seat and rear trim,
                    Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

I run it on my 82 for clearance reasons, but that's what happens when you stuff a B12 motor where it wasn't meant to be

Comment

I thought about it for a time, but decided it had no benefit. Besides, if you've ridden for more than a year you are already set on one way to control the bike. Switch it up now and you might start making mistakes you would regret.
                        sigpic

Signature was getting too long, check my garage for list of mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dub View Post
                          Did this on my TL. Just flip the link. Eh...it was ok. I'm stock on my ride now.
                          Unless you're GP, who needs it...
                          Originally posted by bob393 View Post
                          Interesting but why?
                          Originally posted by kata-tat-tat View Post
                          I thought about it for a time, but decided it had no benefit. Besides, if you've ridden for more than a year you are already set on one way to control the bike. Switch it up now and you might start making mistakes you would regret.
                          Well the thing is, since I have to skip through second sometimes it isn't a solid jump and I wind up in second and it falls back into neutral, which makes me look like an *** when it revvs way up and I don't go anywhere... so if I convert it, a downward kick will guarentee I made it through both gears.
                          '91 Kat 600 SF Project

Comment

Originally posted by hightop View Post
                            Not sure about a Kat, but on my Bandit,I had to get rid of the sidestand switch & grind the tab for it off the sidestand. Gotta hook the 2 wires together to get it to start, & remember to put the stand up before riding off.
                            From what I see the kat is the same way

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                              From what I see the kat is the same way
                              I don't have a sidestand switch, but a good whack with a hammer on the front linkage/clamp part would make enough clearance for it to work on mine. I can get it to work like it is, but it can't be all the way on the shaft, so I wouldn't ride it that way. Add a little bend to it, and it would clear.
                              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                              X