X

Spark Plug Blown From Head - PIC!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plug Blown From Head - PIC!!

Just curious, has anyone ever had this happen before? The base of the spark plugs with the threads stayed in the head but the other part blew out. I know the problem was me overtightening it. I'm just glad I didn't strip the threads in the head!
    Attached Files
    It's not considered cheating if it's a motorcycle, right???

2006 Katana 750

im a lil drunk, but also curious how you got the threaded end out?

i havent been in the cycle world for long, but ive never heard of a plug "blowing" out like that. plugs dont take much torque though. when i put mine in i usually just tighten them with the extension by hand. ive got a pretty good grip though
    Originally posted by Slofuze:
    Some people simply talk sh*t because they don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, they reproduce.....and why we have sh*t all around us.

Comment

I used a tap out and it removed very easily. Yes, I have this bad habit from overtightening everything from Cola bottles to lug nuts which is why I bought a torque wrench. The only problem was, I torqued it to what I thought was the correct torque, but wasn't. I felt like an idiot and rightfully so!!

2006 Katana 750

Comment

Those are quick release plugs. All the racers use 'em.
        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
          Those are quick release plugs. All the racers use 'em.

Spark plugs don't even need torque setting,
          You put them in "finger tight" that is just the socket, no wrench.
          Then go 2/3 to 1/2 turn if they are new, 1/4 turn if used.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post

That's just for plugs with gaskets, tapered plugs only get 1/16th turn after finger tight. FYI, Kats don't have tapered ones, just lettin' ya know if you come across them in your other vehicles.
            Chris

Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
              That's just for plugs with gaskets, tapered plugs only get 1/16th turn after finger tight. FYI, Kats don't have tapered ones, just lettin' ya know if you come across them in your other vehicles.

Tracker reads the box too!!

Comment

It only takes once breaking a plug off or strippin' threads and you learn....
                Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                  Well that depends on whether they are taper seat or washer seat.

Be happy that the threads are still in the head. And no, never had it happen.
                  Don't forget, the crush washer from the broken plug is still probably in the hole, you're going to want to get that out of there.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                    Well that depends on whether they are taper seat or washer seat.

Don't forget, the crush washer from the broken plug is still probably in the hole, you're going to want to get that out of there.
                    Thanks for reminding me because I wouldn't have thought about that, but I did find the washer.

2006 Katana 750

Comment

Daaaayum Herc! You musta cranked the chit outta that thing!
                      Joker
                      The newest addition to the Family!
                      sigpic
                      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

LOL!! Like I said before, I have this crazy obsession with overtightening everything! That was the whole point of me buying the torque wrench. Looks like I needed more help with reading comprehension. When I told my wife what I had done, she gave me that "I'm not surprised" look.

2006 Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                        X