X

Overheating? PLEASE HELP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating? PLEASE HELP

How can i tell if my bike is overheating? What would cause it to overheat?

I thought i was having a fuel issue so i took the bike apart and checked everything fuel wise and its fine.

Rode the bike today and got about 50 miles in and pulled over and rested for a while. Got back on the bike and about 3 miles down the road after giving it hell the bike shut down on me. I let it sit for a second and it was fine. I rode the bike for about 4 min before it shut down again. I was riding a passenger and im thinking maybe the extra strain on the motor is causing it to overheat. The whole way home i had to keep it under 50 mph so it would not shut down on me.

More input. When it starts to die It starts firing wrong and boggin on throttle. If i give it full throttle it will bogg then rev out. As soon as i grab the clutch the bike shuts off.

PLEASE HELP. I need input and direction on this.
    Last edited by Radd; 04-25-2010, 07:40 PM.

mite need to go through the carbs if its running to lean it will run alot hotter burn the valves n **** up
    what the phuc you lookin at

Comment

Im tempted to say it might be your CDI overheating, not the engine. Usually Kats dont overheat if they are moving.
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Go for a ride but leave the petcock on prime and see if it does the same. Also, if it still dies, open the fuel cap and see if it fires up right away.
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Open the gas cap next time it happens to see if it hisses.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I opened the gas cap and also tried putting the petcock on prime. Niether helped it. Still died.

Originally posted by steves View Post
            Open the gas cap next time it happens to see if it hisses.
            It did make a hiss noise in the past so i tried driving around with the cap slightly loose. Still had same death effect.
            Last edited by Radd; 04-25-2010, 11:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Well, if it's made a hissing noise in the past, it could be a clog in the tank's vent tubes causing the fuel to pressurize and not flow freely to the carbs.

It could also be a bad petcock, in need of rebuilding.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I took the petcock apart. Everything looked intact. What kind of defects should i be looking at? I dont have money to throw parts at this bike. What kind of troubleshooting can i do here?

The only time the bike has done this is with a passenger. It hasn't done this to me by myself.
                Last edited by Radd; 04-26-2010, 11:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

It's not related to whether or not you have a passenger. There's some mechanical issue.

The only way to test the petcock, is to have something to catch the fuel... and see if it works correctly on prime and "on"
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Make sure your fuel lines ain't kinked either.
                    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Fuel lines are not kinked. Thank you for the input any other suggestions?

Comment

I think it's a fuel flow issue, not overheating.

I would start with the basics... a full tune up (plugs, valves checked, carbs cleaned and synced, new plugs, check the wires, changed the oil, etc...)

While doing all that, if there is a problem, you will probably find it. This isn't a "throw parts at it" aproach... it's a "this **** needs done anyways, and could be contributing to the problem" aproach"... If you have done any of these things, do the others... double check what you have done... and then go from there.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

So far ive changed the oil, Cleaned the gas tank out, Replaced fuel filter, Cleaned petcock, Cleaned carbs out, Checked wires, Replaced spark plugs and gapped. What do you mean by check valves? check compression?

Comment

Originally posted by Radd View Post
                            So far ive changed the oil, Cleaned the gas tank out, Replaced fuel filter, Cleaned petcock, Cleaned carbs out, Checked wires, Replaced spark plugs and gapped. What do you mean by check valves? check compression?
                            Valve adjustment job... to verify the are in spec. Once done, you need to sync the carbs again to the new vacuum rates.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                            X