X

camshaft timing sprockets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camshaft timing sprockets

Hi there, I recently purchased a second hand cylinder head for my Kat 750. It came complete with cams also. The sprockets are smaller. Should I use them or put the bigger sprockets on? Also what version of the 750 is the head likely to be of? I suspect its an GSXR head but not sure of model. Thanks Dave.

You have to use the Kat sprockets.
    The ratio of the crank to cams needs to be maintained 2-1, if the sprockets on the cams are smaller then they will spin faster and ... Ouch.. bad things

Comment

thankyou for reply. I was wondering what top end gasket I should get. The timing sprockets have 27a marked on them. If they are smaller sprockets would that mean its either the long stroke or short stroke motor that the head came off? I really need to know so I can get the right gaskets and seals for it. Thankyou. Dave.

Comment

I'd ask loudandlow He seems to be the resident head expert..

Comment

gday there. I purchased a top end gasket kit that is for a 86 GSXR750. The Valves are exactly the same, the old head gasket seems to match up ok with the GSXR head so heres hoping......that was all I could find. Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
            You have to use the Kat sprockets.
            The ratio of the crank to cams needs to be maintained 2-1, if the sprockets on the cams are smaller then they will spin faster and ... Ouch.. bad things

A+ advice! Valve touching piston not good!
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
            Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
            R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
            1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
            RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
            3BBB turn signal mirrors,
            Black painted seat and rear trim,
            Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Working...