X

dies when shifted into gear!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dies when shifted into gear!!!

Today i had taken off the carbs to make adjustments cuz i was running way too rich. i put everything back to gether and started her up and let her warm up a bit. i then took a drive around the block and i went to shift into second and it wouldnt. so i headed home (1block away) in first gear. i shut the bike off and then made sure it was in neutral and started it back up.i held clutch in and shifted it down to first and clunk then it died instantly. Any ideas of what may be wrong? i took it for a drive the night before and it shifted just fine now this came outa nowhere!

are you still stuck in 1st? can you sit there and shift through the gears? And as for the bike just simply shutting off Make sure your in neutral & the side stand safety switch is workin properly.
    Joker
    The newest addition to the Family!
    sigpic
    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

++on the sidestand switch. Mine has to be above the exhaust; if it sits below the exhaust, it doesn't fully close the switch.

Comment

I'm not sure what the deal was but everything is fine now. Also I'm curious as to how much slack should be in the chain. Mine seems to have about 2in of play. Any ways thanks for the help I'm gona check all the things you guys mention about the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by 97kitkat View Post
          I'm not sure what the deal was but everything is fine now. Also I'm curious as to how much slack should be in the chain. Mine seems to have about 2in of play. Any ways thanks for the help I'm gona check all the things you guys mention about the switch.
          Avg. is about an inch of play in the chain.
          Joker
          The newest addition to the Family!
          sigpic
          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

As for the sidestand switch, my bike has a damaged switch and its been "disabled", however, my bike shuts down when put into gear. Clearly whatever it was disabled with has probably fallen off. Anyhow, where in the heck does the sidestand switch plug into? I cant seem to find any wires near it, does it have a long wire that goes to somewhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by phroziac View Post
              As for the sidestand switch, my bike has a damaged switch and its been "disabled", however, my bike shuts down when put into gear. Clearly whatever it was disabled with has probably fallen off. Anyhow, where in the heck does the sidestand switch plug into? I cant seem to find any wires near it, does it have a long wire that goes to somewhere else?
              Yes the wire goes over to the right side of the bike. Someone may have put a jumper wire on to bypass that feature.
              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Ok just my luck. I went out for a ride and well my clutch cable suddenly has slack. So I drive home Stuck in gear and stall the bike at home. I then checked the clutch cable it turns out to be just fine. It turns out to be the metal latch piece which is connected to a clutch release mechanism. On bike bandit under clutch its number 23. When I looked at it its hard to see but I didn't see the part that the clutch cable hooks into. But that's what broke on me. Has anybody had this break and do I have to buy the whole piece or can the little piece be bought. I was gona yet to make something to take place of the little piece but wanted to get more input from you guys. You all have been great for helping thanks.

Comment

Ok just my luck. I went out for a ride and well my clutch cable suddenly has slack. So I drive home Stuck in gear and stall the bike at home. I then checked the clutch cable it turns out to be just fine. It turns out to be the metal latch piece which is connected to a clutch release mechanism. On bike bandit under clutch its number 23. When I looked at it its hard to see but I didn't see the part that the clutch cable hooks into. But that's what broke on me. Has anybody had this break and do I have to buy the whole piece or can the little piece be bought. I was gona yet to make something to take place of the little piece but wanted to get more input from you guys. You all have been great for helping thanks.
                  Never ridden my kat but I have replaced clutches on bikes before. My cellular link is too slow today to really use bike bandit, but...if you're talking about what i think you're talking about...i'd try to find a junk bike to take that part off if its expensive. Are you sure that's whats broken though?

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
                  Yes the wire goes over to the right side of the bike. Someone may have put a jumper wire on to bypass that feature.
                  Wherebouts does it connect over there? And it's two wires it connects to, right? I just dont want to short the wrong wires and F something up.
                  Edit: Hmm, checked the schematics. I do believe i can find the connector when i get back to the bike. I hope.
                  Last edited by phroziac; 04-20-2010, 10:34 PM.

Comment

on this web site its part # 23 and it called a screw assembly clutch release. but the piece thats connected to it which the cable attatches to is broke. if i get a chance i will take a pic of the part off my bike and post what i mean. im not sure if i can buy the piece seperate or if im gona have to pay the $35+ for the part. i was just wondering if anyone has had this happen and what they had to do to fix it.

Comment

well i took the part over to a friend of mines shop and he did a little weld on it and put a bit of filler to streghthen it abit which came out better than expected. so i will have the bike up and running to see how it all plays out. I still plan on just getting the new part but for now i feel confident that its fixed for good. All it costed was a lil Mc D's and it was done.

Comment

http://www.bikebandit.com/1997-suzuk...katana/o/m6176

on this web site its part # 23 and it called a screw assembly clutch release. but the piece thats connected to it which the cable attatches to is broke. if i get a chance i will take a pic of the part off my bike and post what i mean. im not sure if i can buy the piece seperate or if im gona have to pay the $35+ for the part. i was just wondering if anyone has had this happen and what they had to do to fix it.
                        I'm tired but it seems like you shouldnt have to replace the whole clutch release to fix this...

Can you take a pic of the exact part thats broken? It looks like it's just a little collar that the cable goes into, is it? I might have suggestions here. It doesnt seem like more than a $10 part to me.

well i took the part over to a friend of mines shop and he did a little weld on it and put a bit of filler to streghthen it abit which came out better than expected. so i will have the bike up and running to see how it all plays out. I still plan on just getting the new part but for now i feel confident that its fixed for good. All it costed was a lil Mc D's and it was done.
                        Man that weld's gona break, I guarantee it. Get it fixed right asap. But...atleast you're back up and running.
                        Last edited by phroziac; 04-20-2010, 10:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yes it is the part that the cable end slides into. Iwas thinkin the same thing about it breaking. But since the steel piece was softer I was able to bend it back to shape easier. My friend said the filler will make it stiffer. He said that this had happened on his buddies GS 550 es so he said it will be fine after he's done with it. I still had doubts but when I get off work at 8am I'm gona put it back on and find out. I told him if it breaks I want my MC D's back! LOL ill keep you informed but like I said I still plan to buy the part so if it does break ill have it fixed ASAP!

Comment

i've had the side stand idea also...BUT mine end up being internal! Sometimes it would even cut off with the side stand up...Check out the switch inside the clutch case!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X