X

Time for new chain??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for new chain??

Hey guys, just wondering. I have 20K miles on my chain. It's the one that came on the bike originally. ('92 750.) I have always tried to maintain it properly. I think it may have developed a tight spot now. Do you think it's time to put down the money and replace it or am I good for more miles?? Thanks!
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
    ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
    ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

20,000 miles and almost 20 years....I'd say you got your money's worth out of it.

Pictures would certainly help. Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's bad, especially if you've taken fantastic care of it. How bad is the tight spot? If you put it on the centerstand, put it in gear, and the chain jumps all over the place....it's time for a new one.

Without any further info, i'd say swap it out.

Comment

Basically my chain is very clean with very little rust in a couple spots. I always clean it with kerosene and a toothbrush and then hit it with chain wax.
      I will adjust it within the 1" or so of play and then rotate the tire and you can definitely feel the tight spot. Right now I have it adjusted so I have my 1" of play through most of the chain travel but I have a "loose" spot instead of a tight spot. lol
      I haven't put it on the stand yet and put it in gear but I will try that this weekend and watch the chain action.
      ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

Comment

I would change it, thats alot of miles on a chain as is, im do for one myself.

Comment

Bike Bandit has an aftermarket chain/sprocket combo for like $200.00. Do you guys think this is a pretty good price?
          ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

Comment

I know about 1 month ago I saw a guy talking about finding a chain/sprocket kit on ebay...he got it for about $100 shipped I think.

Comment

I got a good chain and sprocket conversion for my 1100 off ebay for a good deal .
              Took no time to switch it over and have no problems since . Ohh and if you got a tight spot , or just 1 frozen link ,, REPLACE IT !! It gets scary if you don't .
              Scotty Doesn't Know ...Scotty Doesn't Know.. Don't Tell Scotty

Comment

katanaoutlet.com try that, i just ordered mine from there, was 160 shipped!
                2002 GSXF Katana 600- Sold
                2004 GSXR 600

Comment

I'd change it and the sprockets too.
                  R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Here are a couple pics guys. Sorry, I snapped them with my camera phone. The chain is cleaner than it looks. The pollen here is pretty bad!
                    Attached Files
                    ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

Comment

Well I decided I better just go ahead and get me a new chain/sprockets. Found a RK gold chain combo and got it for $176.00. Should be here in a couple days. Then the fun of installing it.....
                      ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

Comment

Well I got my new RK gold chain installed this evening and it feels great! So much better than the old stocker. I had a friend help help me who's also a roadracer and has an arsenal of race bikes. I was wondering you guys, the front sprocket had these little "rollers?" that were in holes. The new RK sprocket also had the holes but my friend said I didn't need them. Do I need them? Should I have used them in the RK sprocket as well??
                        ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

Comment

Working...
                        X