X

Slung my chain. Now some stuff broken

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slung my chain. Now some stuff broken

So I was being stupid and slung my chain off tonight after work.
    I did a burnout and then went to take off down the road rather fast and the back end come out from me and I went left and right and almost laid it down. The chain slung off when I did that.

I know, I know, stupid. Too late now. Wasn't too mad, just worried cause I had to leave my bike at work out in the open.

It ripped the chain guard off it's bracket, and the only other thing it broke, that I could see, is the cover on the left side that has the gear numbers on it.
    Anyone know how much one of those will cost?

I already needed a chain and sprockets so not worried about that.

What else could I have broken? It stalled the bike when I did it.
    My rides:
    2000 Katana 600 (Red) 13,400k milesWith a 2005 6000 mile motor!

www.bikebandit.com, look up your bike model, and check out the parts you need. It will list prices for you as an estimate.

It will also show you all the parts there, and how they go together for the most part.

Other things that could be broken... clutch push rod, lower case, sprocket hub, swingarm dmg... Best thing to do is do a full inspection, with the broken case off... see what's going on.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Also check the seal where the push rod goes through..busted mine from a snapped chain plus broke the push rod.

Comment

Originally posted by bishop403 View Post
        Also check the seal where the push rod goes through..busted mine from a snapped chain plus broke the push rod.
        Did you cost much to fix that?
        My rides:

Comment

push rod should be about $8 and the seal should be about $3-4. check what they said and make sure the chain didn't cut any wires. the same thing happened to me good luck

Comment

hey i have a sprocket and chain set new 14t 46f new never opened and new standard chain kit i was gonna put on ebay for 70 bucks free shipping etc

Comment

what you did was stupid thing to do:bunny2 but it should not have thrown your chain.must not had the master link installed right.it did come apart at the link?

Comment

WOW bad luck!
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                Black painted seat and rear trim,
                Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by the wind View Post
                  what you did was stupid thing to do:bunny2 but it should not have thrown your chain.must not had the master link installed right.it did come apart at the link?
                  Well, the first stupid thing I did was actually ride her! The chain was SUPER loose!!! It would touch the centerstand (down) and the swing arm (up)! So yeah.

Originally posted by wepainters View Post
                  hey i have a sprocket and chain set new 14t 46f new never opened and new standard chain kit i was gonna put on ebay for 70 bucks free shipping etc
                  Got a few questions for you.

1. Is that for a 98+ Kat?
                  2. Is that an oring chain?
                  3. Is that the stock setup?
                  Last edited by 2ndchance; 04-15-2010, 01:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  My rides:

Comment

Originally posted by the wind View Post
                    Don't be so hard on yourself. OK, so it was not smart to ride with the chain loose like that. It may have contributed, but as mentioned above, the hard riding should not have caused the chain to sling off.

I think I'll check my chain tonight. It is the original chain (continous link, I believe), but I need to lube it and check the tension. Your slung chain must have been a replacement, because the OEM are continuous, aren't they?

I have a new RK chain and sun sprockets sitting in the basement that will drop me from 52 to 50 teeth on the rear sprocket, which should yield a 4% drop in rpm in every gear at given speed. I haven't installed it because the existing chain seemed good. I'll scrutinize the OEM chain tonight.

Hey, your misfortune will be rewarded now with good karma for the heads-up!

Comment

Update

So I finally found the name of the part I broke. It's the engine sprocket cover! The cover on the left side that has the gear numbers on it. And it's gonna cost like $80! That's fricking insane.

Does anyone have a parts bike that I could have or buy that part off of for cheap?
                      My rides:

Comment

There's a guy parting out his 2001 600 in Seaside, OR. I'm buying a center stand and windscreen from him. His name's Tom & he'll ship to you. He posted on Craigslist & I've spoken to him. Very fair prices. PM me for his e-mail.

Comment

Should I replace my sprockets at the same time do the chain?
                          My rides:

Comment

Yes
                            -2000 "750"

Comment

What happens if I don't? Is there a way to tell if the sprockets are bad?
                              My rides:

Comment

Working...
                              X