Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Cleaned the carbs, still having issues...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned the carbs, still having issues...

So, I was having issues with the bike idling so I took it apart and cleaned out the jets, put it all back together and it ran fine for about 3 minutes, as it usually did. Once it's fully warmed up the 4th cylinder dies still, and I can't figure it out. It's not the pilot jet because it stays dead even when I run it up into high revs and I checked the plug for spark and it does fire. Any ideas before I take it to a garage would be great...
    '91 Kat 600 SF Project

Swap the plug on that cylinder.
    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Float/needle issue could also be a problem... not enough fuel or too much fuel flooding the cylinder out.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Rust in the tank?

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Pull the plug and if it's dry it's a no fuel issue, wet it's too much fuel or a bad plug.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Alright, I couldn't work on it today because I had work after school and the auto parts stores aren't 24/7 like they should be > haha. I'll swap the plug tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Any explanation as to why it only happens after it'd warmed up though? Cause that's when it happens everytime.
            '91 Kat 600 SF Project

Comment

Tell me what the plug looks like and I might have a hypothesis.
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by jbo197 View Post
                Rust in the tank?
                Nope tanks clean and I couldn't see that effecting the same cylinder even after I cleaned the carbs, but then again I'm new to all this.

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                Tell me what the plug looks like and I might have a hypothesis.
                I'll let you know tomorrow when I get it off, I'm at my moms house and I'm using my neighbors tools because my mom doesn't have any, so I'll let you know tomorrow once I can get over there.
                Last edited by JustinS; 04-06-2010, 09:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                '91 Kat 600 SF Project

Comment

make sure when you clean the carbs you go through every hole in the carbs with like an acupuncture needle be relentless, i'm struggling with weird idle problems as well. It dies really easy after its warmed up so I'll up the idle a bit, then it idles high when it gets hot from riding.

But its seemed to be better once i really got them clean. now i think its just I'm running a bit to rich. cause i'm not getting the response i'd like from it.

Comment

So I swapped out the plug today, and it made no difference. The previous plug looked good too, eliminating running rich/lean. At first I thought it was electrical after I cleaned the carbs out and it ran good when I first start it up and only died once it warmed up but today when I started it it didn't run well right off the bat. This once again makes me think it's the carbs and that I didn't clean them out well enough the first time. I took it to the local bike guy today and he said if it were a coil it would run me ~$80 plus work time and if it were carbs it would be $250 to have em cleaned, reinstalled, synched, and adjusted. I don't have much money so I'm thinking I'll take the carbs back off and clean them out more thoroughly. Thoughts?
                    '91 Kat 600 SF Project

Comment

Mine did soooomething similar, ended up being a clogged idle circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
                        Mine did soooomething similar, ended up being a clogged idle circuit.
                        Would a clogged idle circuit effect the top end? I really don't know anything about it.
                        '91 Kat 600 SF Project

Comment

Clean the carbs again, it wouldn't be the coil since it fires 2 cylinders off each. It could be a wire but if you have spark I would re do the carbs.

Comment

If you wouldn't gladly drink water through your idle circuit, your carbs aren't clean! Really get down on them. Toothbrush, nylon bristles to clean out jets, a can of carb cleaner, and a few clean cloths to lay parts on and wipe things off with.

Carbs are always the suspect with running problems, but it's worth checking out that coil thoroughly. Very slim chance (as if the coil itself is bad, it would be missing on two cylinders), but it's worth checking out the plug wires. Make sure the connection to the plug cap is good, and that the connection at the coil is good. Also make sure the wires aren't arcing to the frame or engine.
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

may need fuel filters as well sounds like your ridin dirty

Comment

Working...
                              X