I need help please starting issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help please starting issues

Hi Everyone,
    I am new here and i just bought my first bike last week. It is 1999 Suzuki Katana 600. All of the fairings were off and i tried to practice riding and i fell on left side of the bike due to sand being in parking lot. I noticed that i had gas leak from petcock after the crash. I drained the tank and removed the petcock and took if to my local SUzuki dealership. They replaced the 0 ring where leak was coming from. I installed petcock back on the bike and connected the gas hose and vacuum hose back on the bike. I started the bike with petcock being ON and using choke and i noticed that bike was running low on RPM around .500 I took bike for ride for like min or two everything was fine. I tried to start the bike again and it wasnt able to crank and i heard loud backfire and i decided to leave it alone.

HINTS:

I NO LONGER HAVE GAS LEAK!!!!

I NOTICED THAT GAS WORKS FINE/COMES OUT WHILE IN PRIME MODE. BECAUSE I WANTED TO MAKE SURE IT WAS WORKING FINE I AM NOT SURE IF GAS WORKS WHILE IN RESERVE OR ON MODE. IS MY PETCOCK BAD?

WHEN I WAS DRAINING THE GAS TANK I USED A PLASTIC MILK CARTON BUT I WASHED IT OUT VERY WELL AND I REUSED THIS GAS AFTER REINSTALLING PETCOCK AFTER I REPLACED O RING. IS THIS GAS BAD? WOULD IT WORK IF I DRAIN THIS GAS AND PUT NEW CLEAN 91 GAS IN?

CARBURATOR HAS BEEN CLEANED/REBUILT ABOUT 5K MILES AGO WHICH WAS 3 YEARS AGO.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT ASAP IF YOU HAVE ANY ANSWERS FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME [email protected] OR CALL 515-423-1959 ANYTIME WITH SUGGUESTIONS. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
    Last edited by ssinanovic515; 04-03-2010, 09:28 PM.

I'd post an answer if I thought they were coming back to read this...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

PLease Help. I was planning to try to switch to prime and try to start it after 30 seconds. i would switch to ON before starting. If petcock works fine when switched to prime does it mean that ON and RESERVE work fine too? I removed gas line from petcock and placed cup under petcock and turned to prime and gas was coming out and i turned back to ON and gas stopped.

Comment

well one very easy method of finding out if your on and reserve work without the bike running is to put a foot or so of CLEAN air tubing connect to that little nipple on the back of the petcock and switch the valve to reserve hold your cup to the opening where your gas comes out and suck on the air tubing creating the vacuum.

Comment

Originally posted by ssinanovic515 View Post
          PLease Help. I was planning to try to switch to prime and try to start it after 30 seconds. i would switch to ON before starting. If petcock works fine when switched to prime does it mean that ON and RESERVE work fine too? I removed gas line from petcock and placed cup under petcock and turned to prime and gas was coming out and i turned back to ON and gas stopped.

On and Prime require vacuum to the petcock for it to flow.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

quick edit, on and res require vacuum, prime does not, it's meant to prime the carbs before starting after a carb service or running out of fuel

Comment

Working...
            X