X
X

INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keith is talking about the frames Prozak not the engines.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
      Lagmo, if you do the work yourself, do you have to tell them? Can't yoube all sneaky about it?
      I've decided to be sneaky about it
      Probably just gonna go for a GSXR 1100 engine for pure cost reasons (they're about 30-40% cheaper than the bandits on Ebay)
      Just hope my 15 year old frame can handle the HP

Thinking of trying to fit a dual pipe exhaust on it (cause i love the looks, just checkout Special Ks copper SV1000 to get the idea)
      Will do some scouting to see whats available.

For now though i'm keeing an eye on ebay for complete engines/bikes that would work.
      -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

Originally posted by Lagmo
        Probably just gonna go for a GSXR 1100 engine for pure cost reasons
        just a warning if you do put in the 1100 it will be about an inch taller than the kat engine witch will cause problems with lifting the engine into place amd you will have to drop it everytime you need to adjust the valves.
        PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
        The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by UFO8MyCow
          Originally posted by Lagmo
          Probably just gonna go for a GSXR 1100 engine for pure cost reasons
          just a warning if you do put in the 1100 it will be about an inch taller than the kat engine witch will cause problems with lifting the engine into place amd you will have to drop it everytime you need to adjust the valves.
          Ya, that is a big nuisance, though with fully equiped MC repair shop just 20M away i think it'll be manageable.

btw: Just saw Kwebbels new exhausts, those babies are KOTM material for sure
          Now to do a bit of searching and find out which exhausts fit the 1100 in a pre98 frame 8)

Comment

If you want dual exhuast, get a header for like a 93 Gixxer 1100, those where duals
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

How about this?

Comment

Looks kinda neat , but mounting bags could be a problem ....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Oh yes, those are definately nice
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Hey Lagmo, what about this one?

- Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

• Originally posted by Yellow
                      That'd work, but 3 hours left, i'm working on a timeframe of about 6-7 months here
                      Still havn't decided if i should get an engine and exhaust seperate or just butcher an entire 1100.
                      Probaly going for the latter option (just to get the hydraulic clutch and a few other 'freebies').
                      The engines themselves can easily cost 800Eur+ and that's probably missing some bits (oilcooler, carbs, alternator, CDI etc)

A complete bike in good condition will be around 1300-1400 Eur, so i imagine i could get one with some damage to the parts i don't need.

Dream mod would be: hydraulic cluth, braided brake lines, wider rear rim, the 1100 engine, higmount exhausts, better rear shock and a new paintjob 8)
                      For starters i think i'll stick to stock parts, atleast untill i can afford some of those kwebbel fantasticos

Comment

• Lagmo, you can use a oil cooler off of a Katana (GSXF 750). You will need to make new oil lines for it. Basically cut out the flexable part of the exisiting oil lines, and get some new oil line that is longer, and more flexable.
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

• Right now I'm using the stock cooler on the B1200 engine, (digital)oiltemp readouts stay the same as they were with the 600 engine.
                          As a matter off fact the stock Bandit cooler is a lot smaller than the stock Kat-cooler, (I decided to use the kat-cooler allthough I got the B1200 cooler)

Comment

• Originally posted by kwebbel
                            Right now I'm using the stock cooler on the B1200 engine, (digital)oiltemp readouts stay the same as they were with the 600 engine.
                            As a matter off fact the stock Bandit cooler is a lot smaller than the stock Kat-cooler, (I decided to use the kat-cooler allthough I got the B1200 cooler)
                            I've got a 2002 B-12 motor on it's way to Dale Walker/Holeshot for a big bore kit, cams, and headwork, so don't be surprised if you start getting pm's from me once it gets back to me. What year of Kat did you drop it in to?

First question is....how'd you get around the speedo pickup issue? And then, did you happen to swap the rear wheel out at all? 'Cause I've searched and searched, but nobody seems to be able to provide me with a model/year of wheel that'll swap in. I've heard about GSXR wheels fitting, but nobody knows anything about the spacing involved with that.

You and SpecialK are gonna be sick of me in another couple months...I've got the parts to do it, but my motorcycle knowledge is limited in comparison! The questions are gonna rain down upon you! :P
                            FrankenKat 1216
                            GS Fiter 816
                            GSXR750! (race)

Comment

• The older engines made a LITTLE bit more power .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

• Yeah, it'll add a good bit of punch, but if you can afford to do full exhaust instead of just a slip-on, you'll be looking at WAY better gains....Most of the time, a slip-on will give you gains of about 3-5 HP, whereas a full system has been known to bump you up 10 or more. Numbers in the 80+HP area have been seen on a Kat 600 with full Hindle piping....

I'll have a 2003 Kat600 motor with about 24,000Km on it up for sale in a little while - once I get my B-12 in.
                                FrankenKat 1216
                                GS Fiter 816
                                GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Working...
                                X