X

INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive got a few questions regarding the 1100 motor

what are the years that these are for? I know its the oilcooled but i dont know what years are the oil cooled.

What header to use?

Also isnt there any restrictions with the carbs? being they are from a smaller motor?

Does a 750 swingarm need to be used with this 1100?

what chain and sproket? motor or bike?
    -Alex

Currently Looking for a pre 98 katana project

Comment

Originally posted by Farbrorn
      One question though, as I asked before..
      How about the exhaust for the bandit, will it fit without modifications?
      WITHOUT modifications...................no - you MUST modify the body to fit the header I used, which is for a GSXR 1100. Its sorta, well, wider and then it collects together down low.................

I never used a Bandit exhaust system...............
      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Ex10DidKatana600
        Yes, TPS is throttle position sensor. I have been fairly curious about swappiong a larger engine into my katana for a long time now. I also want to know, will a bandit 1200 cylinder jacket and head bolt to a 600 bottom end? With custom pistons, it would make one hellofa rpm motor, short stroke, large piston, high RPM and tons of HP. Who cares about torque (for the most part, gear around it).

Don't know, but keep us all posted if you do it! On the torque - that's what I did - geared around it by going +1 up front and -2 in the rear. That moved the torque out into the mid range where it needed to be....and gave me LOADS of top end to boot!

Comment

Originally posted by fn8uup
          ok im very interested in one of the larger displacment motor swaps and would like to know where im most likly to find one of the gsxr 1100 motors i have 3k atleast 300-650 will go twards a new frame and the rest is for the bigger engine
          im also going to make a turbo kit for it(if you think one of the other engines would respond better or be more reliable to the turbo please say so)

also what should i ask for the 600 engine

what about the tranny
          No need for frame nods unless they would be for the turbo...........

Likely to find one? Good luck- they are getting very rare!

Tranny stays with the engine...............

Comment

Originally posted by Lagmo
            Just curious if anyone has any sort of certification paper on anything but a stock engine/frame combo(espcially from Suzuki, an importer/distributor or any EU goverment agency).
            Would LOVE to put a Bandit 1200 into my 1990 Kat come winter, but our version of the DMV (CRM) is VERY restrictive about allowing these kinds of modifications (the 1200 JUST scrapes under the tax limit of 20% increased HP).
            Basicly i'll have one helluva hard time trying to keep a license/insurrance on it, if i don't have these papers(forget trying to make a cert myself, as that'd probably involve trashing 2-3 bikes + pay some techies to do it )

Oh yeah.. and any kind of frame modification essentially makes the bike a 'New Model' and since it would be new it dosn't conform to Euro2 emission standards..i.e. it can never be registered(would require yet more testing and modifications)

So i think it might just be a pipe dream for me and it seems impossible(esp. since i should probably just get a bigger/faster bike or whatever)
            But after seeing all the awesome kats on KR and drooling over them for a few months. The thought of having something unique like a 'Kabana' has really lodged itself in my brain and just won't let go
            Just the 'Sleeperbike' effect alone would be worth it

anywho.. sorry for the long rant, please let me know if you find anything

Can't do or find anybody to do certifications.................

Again, no frame mods required - direct bolt in!

Why tell them at all? There's NO WAY they can see or know unless you tell them.......not that I'm a proponent of lying to the government.......but you cannot notice the difference because the plastics cover the engine!

Comment

Originally posted by LS6TT
              Ive got a few questions regarding the 1100 motor

what are the years that these are for? I know its the oilcooled but i dont know what years are the oil cooled.

What header to use?

Also isnt there any restrictions with the carbs? being they are from a smaller motor?

Does a 750 swingarm need to be used with this 1100?

what chain and sproket? motor or bike?

Please read above. You must be one of those types that just skips over the instructions for the test..............OOPS! - Its YOU!

ANY OIL COOLED GGSXR motor will work.
              Carbs stay WITH engine - always.
              Electricals stay with BIKE. (they don't know what motor you are running)
              Swing arm CAN and probably SHOULD be a 750 (1.5"longer, andit helps!)
              Chain & sprockets? NEW, for sure, but I like the +1 and -2 set up...

Comment

Lagmo, if you do the work yourself, do you have to tell them? Can't yoube all sneaky about it?
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

I love this bike but want more power so Im thinking about doing a engine swap to it also. 8) (my boyfrinde dont like this idee at all propbly afraied i will drive past him he he)

I got a GSX 750 F 04 (katana) will the GSX-R 1100 92 engine fit??
                  Can I use the oilcooler from gsxr 1100 and exuest??
                  Do I have to change the frame to fit oilcooler and exuest??
                  Any mods to the plasticbody???

sorry my bad spelling

Blue Queen
                  Write this down. E. M. E. T. I. B. Got it? Now, reverse it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Queen
                    I love this bike but want more power so Im thinking about doing a engine swap to it also. 8) (my boyfrinde dont like this idee at all propbly afraied i will drive past him he he)

I got a GSX 750 F 04 (katana) will the GSX-R 1100 92 engine fit??
                    Can I use the oilcooler from gsxr 1100 and exuest??
                    Do I have to change the frame to fit oilcooler and exuest??
                    Any mods to the plasticbody???

sorry my bad spelling

Blue Queen
                    Yes, any 1100 engine from 88-92 will work. You can use the oil cooler off the Katana 750, but you will need to make new Oil Lines (Very Easy, just have to cut the old ones so you have the mounting parts, then go to a auto store, and get oil line) As for your exhaust, I am using a 92 or 93 Gixxer 750 Header, and a Katana 750 D&D Exhaust on mine. I had to get some custom exhaust work done to mount the D&D to the header. The only modification to the body that I had to do was cut the inner plastics (When you look at the main side plastics, you will note there are 2 smaller innder peices near the oil cooler that screw onto the main fairing) I had to cut those down a bit to clear the exhaust. Depending on what type of exhaust you use though, you may also have to cut the belly fairing a bit, the center peice that hold the 2 side peice topgether. You will also have to wrap your header with header wrap to help with the head, so you don't melt plastics.

Oh, and your speedo won't work unless you do some major modding and drilling of the sprocket bolt!
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                      Yes, any 1100 engine from 88-92 will work. You can use the oil cooler off the Katana 750, but you will need to make new Oil Lines (Very Easy, just have to cut the old ones so you have the mounting parts, then go to a auto store, and get oil line) As for your exhaust, I am using a 92 or 93 Gixxer 750 Header, and a Katana 750 D&D Exhaust on mine. I had to get some custom exhaust work done to mount the D&D to the header. The only modification to the body that I had to do was cut the inner plastics (When you look at the main side plastics, you will note there are 2 smaller innder peices near the oil cooler that screw onto the main fairing) I had to cut those down a bit to clear the exhaust. Depending on what type of exhaust you use though, you may also have to cut the belly fairing a bit, the center peice that hold the 2 side peice topgether. You will also have to wrap your header with header wrap to help with the head, so you don't melt plastics.

Oh, and your speedo won't work unless you do some major modding and drilling of the sprocket bolt!
                      That is great if my katana 750 04 oilcooler can be used. You mean I need to get wider oil pipes becuse mayby the 1100 cc engine need more oil .Have I understand it correctly? sorry if it is a stupud question.

I can fix and mod the plastic that is no problem
                      and with help the exhust. My only concern is changing the engine and with all wires and pipes. Can I post pics and ask all dum questions here Lou?

ohh and im a educated toolmaker so im used to work with my hands.

Blue Queen

thanx Sweet Lou for taking your time answering these questions

Edit: Anyone know how much HP its in the 92 gsxr 1100 cc engine?????
                      Write this down. E. M. E. T. I. B. Got it? Now, reverse it.

Comment

You also should go back to the beginning of this thread and read all that ...........a lot of your questions may be answered there..........

Comment

I installed a 2003 B1200 4000 miles engine this week including complete wiring harness, cdi, coils, carbs, cooler, bandit headers and can in a little less than 9 hours.
                          Rejetted the bike with a dynojet stage-3 kit in another 2 hours.
                          I must say it's a straight and easy swap, the wiring-harness took most time but despite the advice I couldn't resist the looks off clean corrosionfree connectors and cables.
                          All i need to do now is fitting a new chain and sprocket-set, the 13/50 ratio is terrifying (rolling wheelies in 3d gear without using the clutch )
                          and I've got to put the plastics back.

special thnx to Keith for his awesome assistance

Comment

As as wise man once said .....
                            "I have GOT to get me one of THESE ! "
                            Someday .....
                            So what do you suppose your total cost for the swap was ?
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I don't think you can compare prices overhere with the prices you guys pay in the States.
                              I paid 1650 euro for the complete engine (with carbs cooler cdi coils aso)
                              The headers and can are borrowed since I'm waiting for another full system. (found a beautifull dual high mount scorched titanium system)
                              chain and sprocketset will be another 250-300 euro.
                              So the complete swap will cost about 3.5K (4200 USD)

Comment

Well thanks for trying !
                                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                                X