X

INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by md86
    Um ,the gearbox is INSIDE the engine . You replace the WHOLE UNIT .
    And so that would be the one problem I would have with the 1127 engine, I'd be stuck with it's silly 5 speed. Glad I did a little research before I bought one.....

Comment

• Yeah , but that "silly five-speed" will STILL be good for more speed than the Kat engine can generate ..... A B12 that someone HERE has dynoed in the 180's mph on top end . That's a 5-speed , BTW .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

• True about the topspeed, but the fact the engine delivers an enormous torque it would be nice to have a sixth gear.

Comment

• Would be better for acceleration to have 6 gears instead of 5. The engine may be able to move mountains and have a high top speed, but how quickly can you get there..... I'd hate to have an 1127 and get wasted at the track by some squid on a 636 or an R6 with better gear ratios. I don't care to do 180, I want to do 0-150.

Comment

• Or just re-gear it with different sprockets . Just a thought ....

Comment

• So then why do cars have 6 speeds, and why do the preferred track cars have 6 speed transmissions.... To your way of thinking the sprockets can simply be changed and that would solve the problem. However, it creates several others, such as excessive engine rpms on the highway, resulting greater fuel consumption, engine wear, and also noise levels from increased rpms, none of which is desirable. 6 speeds creates shorter gaps between gears, resulting in less power drop off and maintaining the engine in its preferred power band more easily while maintaining acceptable fuel economy and engine longevity. In this case, I doubt the 1127 will find its way into my bike. From what I can find, the '91 Gixxer 750 was the last year for the oil cooled engine in that bike and has the transmission I'm looking for so that one is a more likely candidate. Also no slouch at 118 Hp.....

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackKat93
                So then why do cars have 6 speeds, and why do the preferred track cars have 6 speed transmissions.... To your way of thinking the sprockets can simply be changed and that would solve the problem. However, it creates several others, such as excessive engine rpms on the highway, resulting greater fuel consumption, engine wear, and also noise levels from increased rpms, none of which is desirable. 6 speeds creates shorter gaps between gears, resulting in less power drop off and maintaining the engine in its preferred power band more easily while maintaining acceptable fuel economy and engine longevity. In this case, I doubt the 1127 will find its way into my bike. From what I can find, the '91 Gixxer 750 was the last year for the oil cooled engine in that bike and has the transmission I'm looking for so that one is a more likely candidate. Also no slouch at 118 Hp.....
                Okay, you're the expert.... tell us. Keith drags his 1127...
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

So then why do cars have 6 speeds, and why do the preferred track cars have 6 speed transmissions.... To your way of thinking the sprockets can simply be changed and that would solve the problem. However, it creates several others, such as excessive engine rpms on the highway, resulting greater fuel consumption, engine wear, and also noise levels from increased rpms, none of which is desirable. 6 speeds creates shorter gaps between gears, resulting in less power drop off and maintaining the engine in its preferred power band more easily while maintaining acceptable fuel economy and engine longevity. In this case, I doubt the 1127 will find its way into my bike. From what I can find, the '91 Gixxer 750 was the last year for the oil cooled engine in that bike and has the transmission I'm looking for so that one is a more likely candidate. Also no slouch at 118 Hp.....
                  Well , since the B12 has TONS of torque compared to the GSXR11 , that means it don't NEED to spin up high to make power , it has it on tap pretty much ALL the time . Spanks the GSXR11 on the dyno charts up to about 8k where the 11 starts to catch up . Now , since it DOES have tons of torque , I'd think that the loss of one cog wouldn't mean a ton , ESPECIALLY since it's capable of 180-ish in FIFTH gear . Now then , it ALSO turns about 4k rpm's at 90mph . My kat with a -1 front sprocket is at about 9k at that speed . So , If I don't care to go 150 all the time , I can put on sprockets to make the thing top out at oh , say 150 , but get there MUCH quicker . And since I'd have torque ALL the time and 5 speeds , I wouldn't HAVE to shift as often , meaning I'd save a little time . When you're shifting , I'm still going strong . Damn , when I get my B12 thing done someday , you should come down and we can race .....

Comment

• Im going to drop 1 tooth in the front and 1 up in the rear on my 1127.....should kill myself faily easily LOL
                    Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

• Originally posted by SweetLou
                      89-92 the Gixxer 1100 engines were oil cooled. In 93, they went to liquid cooled. My understanding is with the liquid cooled engines, it will not bolt directly up to the frame like the Oil cooled ones due to the smaller head size, cooling lines, and mounting points.

weren't they oil cooled from 85 - 92?

The reason I ask is that I may have an opportuntiy to grab an 86 GSXR 1100 (crashed with running motor) to use for the swap into my 88 600 kat. Any input on whether it will work or not?

PS, I have read and re-read this entire thread to the point where my retinas are literally burning out of my skull. Please don't tell me to go back to page one and read the thread over.
                      Thanks

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

• Just for the record, the 1127 won't have a problem spanking the 600, 636 or anything else like that "At the Drag Strip" because you don't have that EXTRA gear. Trust me. I also have a minus 1 tooth in the front, for a while went up three in the rear, but recently brought it back to stock, and haven't noticed any fuel differences between the rear sprocket change. The bike hauls a$$ no matter what. 3rd gear pull is massive. I do mean massive. The tourqe is awsome. It will just keep pulling even at about 115mph. So get your little 600 or 636, and lets play.
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

• Originally posted by chinto

weren't they oil cooled from 85 - 92?

The reason I ask is that I may have an opportuntiy to grab an 86 GSXR 1100 (crashed with running motor) to use for the swap into my 88 600 kat. Any input on whether it will work or not?

PS, I have read and re-read this entire thread to the point where my retinas are literally burning out of my skull. Please don't tell me to go back to page one and read the thread over.
                          Thanks
                          Go back to page one and reread 8)

Just kiddin
                          The GSX1100R modell was born 1986 and it was oil/air cooled, it is a 1052cc engine 128hp at 9500 rpm, 103nm at 8000rpm so a bit different from the 1989 and up engines (1127cc, 143hp at 9500rpm, 117nm at 9000rpm)
                          Fysically the same engine so it will fit the 600 Katframe.

Comment

• are the 1052's 5 or 6 speed? Looks like I got a line on an 88 1052 for pretty cheap. There seems to be quite a few of these motors on the market right now.

I will be doing quite a bit of long haul riding, am I better off with a 750 or should I go with the 1052?

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Would be better for acceleration to have 6 gears instead of 5. The engine may be able to move mountains and have a high top speed, but how quickly can you get there..... I'd hate to have an 1127 and get wasted at the track by some squid on a 636 or an R6 with better gear ratios. I don't care to do 180, I want to do 0-150.
                              Dont you think that ,if a 6 speed would have been better then the 5 speed in the 1100 Suzuki would have put it in it ? I think that you may wont to try to ride KAT with a 1100 in it befor you think a 750 oil cool can even come close .

Comment

• In any case, looks like the 1127 motor is gonna be out of reach price-wise.... All the ones I have found were well in excess of $900. And that was just for the engine, let alone everything else I'd need. Even the B12's massive torque would be nice, but I may be stuck with a Gixxer 750 engine anyway.

I'm also wondering, with these massive engines in that smaller frame, doesn't that make it rather hard to keep the front tire on the ground even with relatively minor throttle inputs?

Comment

Working...
                                X