Torque Wrench Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Wrench Question

Hey guys,

I'm looking to install my ignition advancer soon and the reports i have read stated certain bolts need to be tightened to lbs per inch and other lbs per foot (i think). Anyway i know they are different. Will one torque wrench do both or do i have to have a lbs per inch and then a separate oone for lbs per foot?

Thanks
    Ebon
    Godspeed
    CSBA #1167
    Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

some have seperate scales for both. Or, if you can multiply and divide by 12, you're good

Comment

Originally posted by tmk7c9 View Post
      some have seperate scales for both. Or, if you can multiply and divide by 12, you're good
      never thought about that.....i've never used one before so this is new to me, but i want one. I'm gonna go look at one on my lunch. Thanks
      Godspeed
      CSBA #1167
      Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

OK, Good question..
        Marc and I had spirited "conversations" about torque wrenches in the past..
        However we agreed that you really do need more than one.
        12 Inch/pounds = 1 foot/pound (go figure )
        Your average torque wrench ranges from 20 to 250 Foot/pounds, however the accuracy is on a curve. So down at 20 foot/ pounds it can be off 10-20% . Since 20 Ft/lb = 240 inch pounds your accuracy is +/- 48 inch pounds!
        So IMO:
        Basic home mechanic: 20-240 Ft/lb 1/2 drive wrench.
        Semi-pro home mechanic also has: 5-75 ft/lb 3/8 drive.
        Super know it all also has: 2- 50 inch/pound (either screw driver type or wrench style)

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
          OK, Good question..
          Your average torque wrench ranges from 20 to 250 Foot/pounds, however the accuracy is on a curve. So down at 20 foot/ pounds it can be off 10-20% . Since 20 Ft/lb = 240 inch pounds your accuracy is +/- 48 inch pounds!
          So IMO:
          Super know it all also has: 2- 50 inch/pound (either screw driver type or wrench style)
          10-20% curve is huge! I found a couple semi inexpensive torque wrenches that will get me started on for each measurement....after reading that i dont think i would trust my math with the calculations. LOL!!!
          Godspeed
          CSBA #1167

Comment

On the engine covers, I think you are probably okay going "carefully hand tight" or NOT "rail road torque"
            OK, Good question..
            So IMO:
            If I have the 2-50 in/lb wrench, because I bought it accidentally when I meant to buy the 5-75 ft/lb wrench... do I still get to be a super know it all?
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah the accuracy of a good Craftsman one is +/-3% above 20% of full range.
              So even though it is "rated" at 20-240 ft/lbs it is really only accurate above 50 ft/lb..

I assume you're tightening the center screw of the ignition advancer, I would see if the auto parts stores near you "rent" torque wrenches. Autozone charges you a deposit but you get it all back I think.

Comment

BTW, here's a read on torque wrenches from a couple of guys on one of my other forums:
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  If I have the 2-50 in/lb wrench, because I bought it accidentally when I meant to buy the 5-75 ft/lb wrench... do I still get to be a super know it all?
                  Oh for soooo many reasons Steve, so many reasons..

Comment

OK, Good question..
                    So IMO:
                    Good advice, I have 2 of them as well. a 3/8 drive in inch pounds, and a 1/2 inch drive in ft lbs.

An interesting bit of info.....I had my dad take my cheap-o Harbor freight 1/2" torque wrech to get "calibrated" by the techs at American Airlines. Turns out, it was within 3% at 3 different torque values.....which is well within accepted specs. Apparently there are plenty of snapons that aren't calibrated that well.

i'm not suggesting that all of them are that good. I think I just got lucky with mine. It's just something to think about. Just because you bought a $300 snapon torque wrench, doesn't always mean it's right. (although any torque wrench, no matter how cheap is better than "guessing")

Comment

Originally posted by 600Kat4EB View Post
                      I'm looking to install my ignition advancer soon
                      Where did you pick up the advancer?
                      Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Originally posted by brentwoodkris View Post
                        Where did you pick up the advancer?
                        DennisKirk.com

I bought it for my ZZR, i may pick up one for the Kat next year but it depends on how much the mrs rides it (the katana that is ) this year

Yeah the accuracy of a good Craftsman one is +/-3% above 20% of full range.
                        So even though it is "rated" at 20-240 ft/lbs it is really only accurate above 50 ft/lb..

I assume you're tightening the center screw of the ignition advancer, I would see if the auto parts stores near you "rent" torque wrenches. Autozone charges you a deposit but you get it all back I think.
                        The center and the bolts around the case thats houses the advancer. I'll check out Autozone as well. I forgot that they do that really. i would like to own one at some point but money is tight so we'll see

thanks everyone for the info!

E
                        Last edited by 600Kat4EB; 03-25-2010, 02:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        Godspeed
                        CSBA #1167

Comment

Working...
                        X