X

Clutch Adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Adjustment

Anybody know how I can make the clutch softer?
    Right know my Clutch is really really really hard...
    When I Try To adjust it to a comftable adjustment
    the clutch doesnt work anymore.. when I set it just right
    to make it work properly its really hard to squeeze...
    someone told me to find softer clutch springs but i dont think thats a good
    idea... right now everything is all stock 96 Katana 600 GSX-F

I would really appreciate any kind of assistance on this matter...

Originally posted by VladXed View Post
    Anybody know how I can make the clutch softer?
    Right know my Clutch is really really really hard...
    When I Try To adjust it to a comftable adjustment
    the clutch doesnt work anymore.. when I set it just right
    to make it work properly its really hard to squeeze...
    someone told me to find softer clutch springs but i dont think thats a good
    idea... right now everything is all stock 96 Katana 600 GSX-F

I would really appreciate any kind of assistance on this matter...
    No offense, but... without some kind of actual mesurement or being able to inspect it... I would not be able to tell you if it's too tight/hard to pull and thus an issue, or your simply not used to it or perhaps just do not have much hand strength.

If it is due to an issue, things to look at...
    • Clean/lube the clutch cable well.
    • Inspect clutch cable for wear (If the cable is loose, it should slide inside the sheath very very easily. If any binding/catching, you may have a frayed cable and need to replace).
    • Inspect the mounting point at the handlebars/lever. Anything bent, at an awkward angle, doesn't look right.
    • Check the routing of the cable, that it's correct and not causing it to bind.
    • Pull the side cover off and clean/inspect to make sure no issues there.

If none of that helps... then 2 possibilities...

1. Someone put in aftermarket springs, and you can either replace with OEM or get used to the tougher springs.

2. Buy one of those hand grip excersise things and start working out... (or spend a bit of $ and time to do a hydrolic clutch conversion).

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Im pretty sure its not my hand cause I can hold the clutch in on other bikes almost all day but with my kat I cant even stand one traffic light...

The Cable is routed right too and fairly new...

Im gonna try to replace the spring with oem ones and post my results

I never thought of it that way and I'll give it a try

Comment

Lube the clutch lever pivot.
        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

wow i have the same problem.. i figured that my hand was just not use to it is there an adjustment to bring the lever closer and softer like the brake?
          Last edited by Nanakat; 10-18-2010, 11:24 AM.

Comment

It's an old bike, it happens. Mine was harder than all hell to pull in, just got used to it I lubed everything and it was still bad like that.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If you can remove the cover on the left side over the front sprocket, leave the cable attached to it and test the tightness. You've just isolated the clutch cable itself. If after putting the cover back on it's still tight, it's your clutch springs.

The springs in my clutch are extremely hard too. My roommate has a pre Kat too, and his clutch is way easier to pull than mine is. New cable, lubed and all. The only thing left for it to be is the clutch springs.
              Last edited by adalgiso; 10-19-2010, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Pull sprocket cover off and clean / lube the gear that actuates the clutch. Replace the clutch cable and keep it lubed from now on!. I'm betting the cable with in the sheath is rusting and binding the cable up. Check that the pivot bolt on the lever is not too tight, clean and lube it too. I'd bet you'll love your clutch a whole lot better after this treatment.
                I have heavy springs in my clutch and it's still not as hard to pull as some of the stockers I've had my hands on that didn't receive the same level of maintenance that mine does.
                2000 Katana 600
                2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

I went hydraulic. Love it! I'll love it even more next spring when I don't have to lube or adjust it.

Oh, and as for the cost, I picked up an early GSXR-1000 MC and sprocket cover for $50, trimmed the sprocket cover to fit around the Kat's frame and cut a new push rod from some mild steel round-stock I got from Ace Hardware for $8. The push rod was the biggest hassle. I had to work it down from 1/4" to 15/64" and mess with the length until it was just right.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Lube the cable every couple weeks.

for now just use WD-40 and lube it every couple days to get rid of any rust or corrosion, then start using a good cable lube.

OEM springs are the best IMO I have aftermarket heavy duty ones but dont like them.
                    As long as the cable is properly lubed it should be fairly easy to pull.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                    X