X

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???!! (and pics)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???!! (and pics)

Hey guys, I have a good one for you. I was wondering if someone else may have had this similar experience. This past Sunday I finally got to ride a couple miles for the first time this year and it started out perfect. Then after like 8 miles I came to a stop sign and my bike wasn't running right. Like it was running on 3 cylinders or something. So I was highly dissapointed and I rode it back home. When I got there it wasn't wanting to idle right and it looked as though 2 of the carbs were leaking gas. I cut it off and put my tools and what not back up. After a few minutes I tried to crank it and it wouldn't even crank. So I covered it back up and called it a day. Then today after after work I pulled it back out with intentions on pulling the carbs (once Again!) and trying to see what the problem was. Before I did so my dad insisted that I try to crank it again. I thought it was useless but I tried anyway. It cranked right up!! I let it run, (it was running perfectly) and there was no gas leakage this time at all. I took it out and rode it this evening for like 10 - 15 miles without a problem at all. What gives?? Anybody ever had this happen?? It leaves me wondering if it's actually okay now or if it's going to do it again for some reason!!
    Just a little background, in the off season I cleaned and performed POR-15 on the tank and cleaned the carbs. You can eat off of them. I also changed the oil and filter and washed the engine. And prior to riding for the 1st time the other day my bike had been cranked each weekend and was running great. Could something have gotten "stuck" and now it's not??
    Sorry for the long post guys but I was really wondering about this one. I took a couple pics on the ride this evening and included them.
    Attached Files
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
    ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
    ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

you were riding in a parallel universe and it never happened...

Now your bike is fine...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

I ran into something similar last summer
      I think it was water caused by ethanol in the carbs I throw a bottle of gas line de-icer in from time to time
      I am going to try some new stuff this season designed to deal with ethanol
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by gimmefuel View Post
        my dad insisted that I try to crank it again. I thought it was useless but I tried anyway. It cranked right up!! I let it run, (it was running perfectly)
        maybe dad unstuck your floats?i would ride as much as possible close to home for awhile

Comment

Floats can stick. Then go for months... Then stick..

Comment

stuck floats
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah I think I'm gonna go with the stuck float idea guys. Especially since the carbs were off the bike for so long during the winter and they were just sitting "dry." At least now if it does it again, and I hope that it doesn't, I will know what it is.
              'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
              ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
              ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

Comment

Actually, it is more likely, since you had the carbs off for awhile, that the float needle orings dried out causing the leaks. Once they had gas back in them awhile they swelled back up & stopped leaking. A lot of people mis-diagnose leaking float needles when it is just the orings that are in the needle bodies. Ray.
                85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Working...
                X