Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Tuning help; Idle hangs at warmup but gets normal quickly, wondering a few things..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning help; Idle hangs at warmup but gets normal quickly, wondering a few things..

Allright so I've got the factory pro jet kit all installed and everything set best I can for the stage I'm at. I've got the floats at 14, 112.5 (stock) main jets, and needle clip set at #3 position. I had the a/f screws set at 2.5 turrns out but I was getting bad hang so I set to 3 turns out and once the bike ran for a minute or two It got so that that when I turned and released the throttle it didn't hang at all.

I still need to sync the carbs, I made a simple 1 tube carb sync tool with oil in the bottom of the tube, I wad going to do it tonight but my neighbors were getting ****ed probably. So thus far with only visually syncing the butterflies I've got the bike running at a steady rpm and it sounds sweet with the new pipe! However before I can hop on the bike and ride it and test my tuning job I need to customize my rs-3 pipe to sit how I want it to, (right now it makes contact with the rear brake caliper oil line bolt, I will not be able to do much more in the meantime except maybe solve that hanging idle only during warmup, I know it means a lean condition and it got better after I turned a/f screws out a 1/2 turn and it gets practically un-noticible after the bike is warmed up good enough to ride... Is this normal? It's not too bad but it's hanging and hanging means lean BUT I don't want to keep turning the A/f screws out.. Maybe syncing carbs will solve problem? Any help appreciate thanks
    For sale thread Album
    1991 Katana 600 - sold

sync may straighten it out, if that dont work then try 3 1/4 turns out and make sure theres not a vacuum leak
    sigpic
    -Cory-
    1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

ALWAYS sync your carbs before you install a jet kit.
      Im suprized jet kits dont recommend this in their instructions...

doing the sync first will eliminate a lots of possible issues and help narrow down/perfect the jetting. you cant properly adjust the lower circuits (idle/off idle, 1/4 throttle. and 1/2 throttle) if the carbs are not properly syncronized to begin with
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Thanks guys, my bike wouldn't run until I installed the kit, mostly due to the fact my float heights were off pretty bad and they were badly bench syncd/ syncd from the previous owner. Miraculously after installing the kit and messing around with floats and stuff I was able to also visually bench sync it pretty dead on but not to each cylider. Anyways Ive got my bike sitting right infront of me and I'm going to proceed to do a proper sync.
        For sale thread Album
        1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Allright well I syncd the carbs best I could with a 1 tube w/oil setup, and set the fuel screws to 3 & 1/4 turns out and it didn't seem to fix the slight hang when I open then snap the throttle shut.

Notes on the sync...

Carbs 1 & 2 I managed to get the oil nearly dead still in the bottom of the tube.

Carbs 3 & 4 the oil was all bubbly and moving a ton but nonetheless it looked level in the tubes but it probably isn't as accurate as the oil being still?

2 & 3 were really difficult. A little to far on the screw and the idle speed would start to raise seemingly uncontrolably even with idle adjustment screw all the way out.
          For sale thread Album
          1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Have you made sure the pilot jets are clean. I had a hanging and wandering idle last year. I cleaned the pilot jets thoroughly and it cured the problem.

Comment

3.25 sounds quite rich... stage 1 I'd probably start at 2.5 or 2.75.

I might be inclined to pull the rack off and do a bench synch then start again with the gauges. I can get pretty close with a bench synch these days...
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
              X