X

Keeps dying

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeps dying

my bike was running fine all last year, after i parked it for winter is been acting kind of wierd now. It starts right up but after it warms up it dies and it won't start for a few hours i thought i was the carburators but is not i put fresh new 91 octane gas also. Please Help spring its almost here i wanna ride!!
    oh i forgot to mention that if it stays on above 3000 rpms but if u let it go down it will die!!!!
    Last edited by gio24vanni; 03-12-2010, 10:40 AM.

Check your oil level, and smell it for fuel.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i replaced the parks plugs for new ones i havent change the oil though or the filters(air,oil). please any ideas

Comment

Only runs with choke on? Jet(s) clogged.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Check your oil level, and smell it for fuel.

Krey

Originally posted by gio24vanni View Post
          i replaced the parks plugs for new ones i havent change the oil though or the filters(air,oil). please any ideas

Yes... check the oil LEVEL and smell it for fuel.

If you find the oil level is right, and it doesn't smell of fuel then we can move on... but from the symptoms your describing.... That is what to check first, it's the easiest thing to check, and it costs nothing.

Or...

Spend a few hours doing alot of reading on the boards for all the many different possible reasons you bike would react this way, and check all of them.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

just did the exact same thing 4 days ago, ran great when parked and winterized. started her up for the season would hold above 3k but any less died. i pulled carbs and and pulled pilot jets, did a couple squirts of gumout carb cleaner through mains and pilot circut and a quick shot through the pilot jets themselves took 15 mins from start to finish. reassembled and runs like a dream..

Comment

What I said; Rowdy said better.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowdy View Post
                just did the exact same thing 4 days ago, ran great when parked and winterized. started her up for the season would hold above 3k but any less died. i pulled carbs and and pulled pilot jets, did a couple squirts of gumout carb cleaner through mains and pilot circut and a quick shot through the pilot jets themselves took 15 mins from start to finish. reassembled and runs like a dream..

You are one of the lucky few that got by with a half azz cleaning. The time it takes to pull the carbs and re-install, I prefer to do a thorough cleaning on the whole carb body instead of gambling. 15 minutes? It takes that long to pull off the fairings.
                Last edited by kevin2502000; 03-12-2010, 07:47 PM.
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                  You are one of the lucky few that got by with a half azz cleaning. The time it takes to pull the carbs and re-install, I prefer to do a thorough cleaning on the whole carb body instead of gambling. 15 minutes? It takes that long to pull off the fairings.
                  my carbs were completely/professionally cleaned before i winterized the bike. and still gummed up over the winter thats the only reason i just did the quick "half azz" clean. and it worked.. you dont need to pull your fairings to get your carbs out of the bike. krey knows the crap i went through with my carbs, have become somewhat pro at taking out, apart, cleaning and reassembling lol..

Comment

Clean carbs don't gum up when the bowls are empty and/or have been drained before storing your machine. "Winterizing" is a stealerships fancy way of saying "Milking it".
                    For sale thread Album
                    1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

i didnt drain the bowls, by winterizing i meant adding stabil to the gas and a couple puffs of fogging oil in the cylinders. so clean carbs did gum up over the winter but just enough to where a quick shot of carb cleaner in the pilot circuit sorted it out..

Comment

draining the carbs is one of the worst things you can do. you can't completely drain a carb with the float bowl screws and left over fuel will quickly evaportae and leave gum and powdery deposits in the carbs.

Add some stabilizer to the fuel, run it through the system and leave the fuel in the carbs.

90% of the time the slide lift valves are the biggest carb issue after a short storage and they can be a bit gritty or sticky and be causing the bike to stall if they are not opening/closing as they should. A quick shot of carb cleaner will free them up but they should be removed, properly lubricated and re-installed.
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                        X