X

Clutch release problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch release problems

Hey guys, I am still working on a 96 Kat 600 that I got pretty cheap. I've had a few fule problems because it was sitting up for 8 years but I've got all that fixed.

Problem I am having now goes beyond my limited skills. I was checking out the bike and noticed I had 4 bolts really loose on the clutch cover and 2 missing. Well I immediatley tightened the bolts but now I cant squeeze the clutch at all! Clearly this was rigged to work by the previous owner. Anyhow I tried my best to take the clutch cover off and understand the workings and I put it back together but now it acts like the clutch is always engage and the clutch lever is pretty tight. I can shift through all the gears as if the bike is turned off. I cant tell if the clutch release is worn becuase I dont know what it should look like. Is there a website that anyone knows of that shows a good one working? Or can anyone help me?

Thanks, you guys have been a huge help before with my first bike!

Change the clutch cable! They are pretty cheap like 20 bucks or less. Check the adjustment at the handle bars. I tried spraying WD-40 down the top area and letting it flow down by tilting the bike. Worked great till cable snapped at a red light. Replaced it and smooth as silk.
    sigpic

Comment

OK I would do this:
      Remove the cover (the sprocket cover really) and make sure everything is OK there. You have to remove the small shifter lever, but the pedal comes off with the case.
      Make sure the clutch lever works freely, that there isn't tons of gunk and dirt on the mechanism. Clean it up if needed and add some grease to the cable connection, and the rest of the parts that move. If you feel like it (and I highly recommend it) loosen all the adjusters and remove the cable from the lever (should be easy once it is loose) then spray or somehow get some lube into the cable. If there are any frayed bits order a replacement cable. Reassemble the cable but leave the cable adjusters loose. Lube the lever pivot and especially the point where the cable attaches to the lever!
      With the cover still off pull out the pin that is sticking out of the case, the pin the clutch mechanism works on. It will pull right out. (it better) Clean it up well. Roll it on a flat surface to be sure it is straight. Add some lube to it and replace. Replace the cover making sure everything goes together easily. Torque the cover bolts. Now follow HS2020's clutch adjustment procedure. Follow it carefully, miss a step and it will not work.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
      mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
      Last edited by Black_peter; 03-11-2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

If by "acts like the clutch is always engage" you mean it acts like the clutch is always pulled in, it's probably because it is. Tightening that cover can push the clutch pushrod in, disengaging the clutch (what happens when you pull in the clutch lever). There should be a little rubber cover in the center of the cover; the clutch can be adjusted there.

The thread Black_peter linked to covers this.

Comment

Originally posted by paul.miner View Post
          There should be a little rubber cover in the center of the cover; the clutch can be adjusted there.

The thread Black_peter linked to covers this.
          But it is critical that you follow the steps, just adjusting the screw under the rubber cover can make things worse.

Comment

I know exactly what screw you are talking about! I actually tried for a little bit but when it didnt budge easily I feared I'd brake something and left it alone. I'll clean it all up tonight and try to adjust that screw one more time. Thanks guys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by keithis1 View Post
              I know exactly what screw you are talking about! I actually tried for a little bit but when it didnt budge easily I feared I'd brake something and left it alone. I'll clean it all up tonight and try to adjust that screw one more time. Thanks guys!!!
              Hold on.. The screw has a lock nut, but way more important is that you follow HS2020's procedure.
              Seriously, you can break something if you don't follow it.

Comment

Mine was doing the same thing ..It was the screw with the lock nut behind the rubber boot..

Also it helped me having the clutch cover off,I watched the clutch basket as i worked the clutch lever on the bar to see if the basket would move at all.

Comment

Working...
                X