X

Seafoam question........

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seafoam question........

Been reading alot of threads that include seafoam. My question is how much to use, does it really help and if my bike has a slight stutter when cold but not warmed up-should I use it? Havent been into the carbs but if this can help and NOT hurt then I might run some through...........
    sigpic

ive used it recently and in all cars and motorcycles. its 1oz to 1 gal i believe. ive never done the oil way though....
    03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
    04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
    08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
    10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
    05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

Welcome! Using Seafoam certainly won't hurt, and will help to keep the internals of the carbs clean. I generally do 4oz. to a full tank, once a month.
      2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
      2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

I have put a half can in to a full tank of fuel

The mixing instructions are on the cans

I would refrain from getting to carried away , it comes in a metal can for a reason
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Thanks so far guys........
          sigpic

Comment

I use it all the time. i put in 1/4 of the can per tank of gas, dont know if thats correct but it seems to work for my kat

Comment

the other way to use it not mentioned is in the crankcase oil....in cars ive heard mixed reviews....it breaks up **** so you can drain it, but in OLDER cars it can break up enough to cause leaks that where plugged by the old gunk. in bikes though the wet clutch might have issues with the seafoam...

Comment

OK thats 5 for the seafoam.........Im gonna pick up a can or two and listen and feel for a difference........thanks
                sigpic

Comment

My bike had some pretty bad throttle response before I used Seafoam. Also the idle smoothed out and the bike simply seemed to run better. Of course Seafoam is a poor substitute for breaking your carbs apart and cleaning them thoroughly but if you want a lazy way out this stuff is amazing.
                  Solve two of the worlds problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry.

Comment

Using seafoam through a vaccum hose will burn all the gunk out too. I recently did it to my car(131k) my dads truck (224k) and my girlfriends car(115k). Going to do it to the kat tommorow (31k).

Comment

i was thinking about running some through my cars vacuum line but it kind of scares me that you could hydrolock you engine....

i have an 1984 porsche 944.....i know how **** is when it goes wrong....im tempted though....

Comment

Originally posted by phil823 View Post
                        i was thinking about running some through my cars vacuum line but it kind of scares me that you could hydrolock you engine....

i have an 1984 porsche 944.....i know how **** is when it goes wrong....im tempted though....
                        That's a very real possibility. If you feed it in too fast, you could be in all kinds of trouble.
                        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I was told by a parts store employee that sea foam " deep creap" lubricant is the same stuff just in an aerosol form

maybe someone like Doc Nitro can confirm

for use in Vac system aerosol is a safer way to go

they now have a combustion chamber cleaner

Last edited by rexazz2; 03-10-2010, 05:40 AM.
                          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

thats interesting! i would feel better about using an aerosol.

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                              I was told by a parts store employee that sea foam " deep creap" lubricant is the same stuff just in an aerosol form

maybe someone like Doc Nitro can confirm

for use in Vac system aerosol is a safer way to go

they now have a combustion chamber cleaner

http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-spray.html
                              NO!!!

The "DEEP CREEP" is just that...a lubricant. It's the Seafoam version of WD40.

The aerosol version of Sea Foam spray says "Sea Foam Spray" on the can.

It's really hard to hydrolock your engine with Seafoam. You drizzle it in...but using a vaccum hose to pull it in, I've never had an issue and I've used it on everything with an engine for YEARS.

In fact when you are using it, you will probably have to keep the engine running as you drizzle it in. But right at the end, you actually let off the throttle, and let the intake of the Seafoam cause the engine to die....that's in the instructions.

Old mechanics used water for pretty much the same effect.

All you are doing is basically steam cleaning carbon and other deposits off of internal parts in the engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X