X

? about a bike that was sitting 6 years

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about a bike that was sitting 6 years

I have a 1997 katana 600, that has been sitting for 6 years. I have general knowledge about my engine but I am no expert. I know shame on me I never winterized it and it has been forgotten about. Besides a new battery, new plugs, drain the gas tank, and oil and filter change. Will it start or am I missing something. Thanks

The tires are probably dry rotted. There is probably air in the brake lines and you will also need to flush and add new brake fluid. The tank is probably badly rusted and the fuel has probably turned to green gel in the tank, gas lines and the carbs. Depending on "where" it was sitting you may also have a couple wasts nest or maybe the vacated home of a squirrel hanging around in there somewhere. Good luck getting it back on the road dude. Just take your time and pay attention to making sure that everything is okay again.
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
    ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
    ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

Comment

Probably gonna need a new chain and sprockets as well, every hose will most likely need to be replaced. Sitting for six years is a long time...
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

fire it up and let us know if the carbs are fine or acting up ...post a pic.

Comment

6 years?

- Remove the tank, open the cap and check the condition of the inside of the tank. If it's got rust, you need to clean it and seal it or the rust will just keep clogging your carbs up

- Fuel lines and vacuum lines are probably toast. As cheap as they are just replace them. Trust me, a small crack in dry rotted vacuum hose can drive you INSANE

- Remove the carbs as a unit. Take 'em down following the CARBS 101 How to here on KR, and soak 'em and clean 'em. Pay special attention to all the small holes in jets etc. Once you think they are clean, clean 'em again.

ENGINE: This is just what I would do YMMV

- Drain the old oil
          - Unhook the oil cooler and drain it as well
          - Fill with some cheap motorcycle oil fo rnow, with a new filter
          - Replace the spark plugs
          - While you have 'em out, a couple of squirts of oil in the cylinders or even Marvel Mystery oil would probably be a good idea
          - Check the airbox and clean if necessary
          - Make sure airbox drain line is not broken, and not kinked, and make sure it's capped
          - Check the boots that connect the carbs to the airbox AND the intake boots that connect the carbs to the engine. Look for cracks, missing connectors etc

BRAKES: You'd be surprised how many people over look this

- Check all the brake hoses for cracks and damage (if they are stock, it's WELL WORTH the time and $$$ to replace 'em..but it's your butt riding it, not mine LOL)

- Open both master cylinders. After seeing the nasty pudding like texture of what used to be brake fluid...

- open the brake bleeders, hook a hose / tubing to them and keep flushing brake fluid through until it's clear

- Yank the calipers and take a look...if pads are bad replace them
          - More than likely the caliper seals are toast...get a rebuild kit for all the calipers...not that pricey, and just takes a little time

- Hook it all back up and flush / bleed the brakes

OTHER ODDS AND ENDS:

- Remove the wheels.....check the tires over CLOSELY. If they are six years olds they are probably cracked / dry rotted and might have flat spots from sitting. They might LOOK FINE...but riding down the road at speed IS NOT the time to find out the tires are trash and you should have replaced 'em.

- Clean and grease all the bearings in the wheels.

After you get it running........

Run it for awhile, then go ahead and change the oil again with a new filter.

It probably seems like a lot....but it's well worth it to know that it's safe for you to ride.

As mentioned also check chain and sprockets, not to mention all the cables...if they still look decent....lube 'em.

Hope this helps.

And it's not as bad as it sounds.

Comment

Working...
          X