X

Is my rear sprocket still good?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my rear sprocket still good?

Hi guys, since my Kat is my first bike I don't know what a used sprocket looks like.
    I was cleaning up my bike for spring and wanted to ask you guy if my rear sprocket is still in good shape.
    The Kat has around 10k miles.
    Here's some pictures from different angles/places on the sprocket:

Last edited by Dom; 03-07-2010, 01:40 PM.

If your not replacing the chain, I would not replace that sprocket. It's in good shape for a used sprocket with minimal wear.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

You should replace your sprocket once it looks like this

Comment

streebs93, how many miles were on that sprocket? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by streebs93 View Post
          Oh Geez! I see.
          Thanks I'm good for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Timan View Post
            streebs93, how many miles were on that sprocket? Just curious.

My guess is somewhere around 30,000. And the past 20,000 were anything but easy miles

Comment

That looks OK to me if you're just cleaning up the chain & sprockets for spring and not replacing either. The general rule of thumb is to replace the chain and sprockets at the same time, as one new and one worn won't match well and the new one will wear out faster.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM View Post
                That looks OK to me if you're just cleaning up the chain & sprockets for spring and not replacing either. The general rule of thumb is to replace the chain and sprockets at the same time, as one new and one worn won't match well and the new one will wear out faster.

That is the commonly suggested option.

I personally would not replace that sprocket even if I was putting a new chain on. It's not that far out on wear... but that is just my opinion.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Why replace it? Just flip it over and keep going. Might have a problem when getting off the throttle tho. :bunny2
                  Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                  Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Just to be clear, you should change your sprocket waaaayyy before it looks like this..

Comment

Just a few more miles...

Comment

Hummm, it could be used as a circular saw blade.

Comment

Working...
                        X