Stalls when applying throttle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalls when applying throttle

Hello,

So as some of you may remember, I was looking at an 96 750 that was not running...

Well I got it running, for the most part. After cleaning the gelled gas from the carbs, installing new plugs, and cleaning out the carbs a second time, I got the bike to where it will start up immediately without any choke.

The problem starts when I go to give it throttle. As soon as it is applied, the engine bogs down, and then stalls. If I apply choke and give it throttle, it will not stall out (the rpms will be around 3-4k with a little choke), but will still bog down. And it will do this with the petcock in all three positions.

It has a K&N at the moment. I've ordered an OEM air filter it should be here in a few days.

Any ideas what the problem could be?
    Last edited by Bryer; 03-02-2010, 04:47 PM.

are you giving it a couple minute to warm up ?
    after three or so minutes you should be able to turn off the choke and be good to go
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

So the idle circuit seems decent, but the main fuel flow (main jets, diaphrams, needle jets) don't seem right atm. Either something isn't set up right, of they are still dirty?

Have you done a sync btw?

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

mine did that and it ended up being the the orings in the carb boots. Start it up and spray aroung the boots where they bolt to the head with some carb cleaner or something similar and see if the idle smooths out or if u can rev it if so then there is the problem.
        1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

take the airbox off and watch the slides. When you give it a little gas, do they rise up? Sounds like dirty main jets, or binding slides to me.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Easy way to test the slides with a can of air.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5BGTi6OX1E"]YouTube- Slide works[/ame]

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

You can put your mouth on the same place and get the same result. That is a great way to make sure your diaphragm is sealed and not leaking.
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                You can put your mouth on the same place and get the same result. That is a great way to make sure your diaphragm is sealed and not leaking.
                There are some places one's mouth just does not belong...

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  There are some places one's mouth just does not belong...

Krey
                  you said it before i could
                  sigpic
                  -Cory-
                  1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

Well considering I clean them with hot soapy water plus steam cleaning before I put my mouth on it, does that make ya fell any better?? I'm sure my mouth has been on dirtier holes..................
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Have you done a sync btw?

Krey

When I put everything back together, I did a visual sync. Today I just built a sync tool, but due to the weather have not been able to do much. I also did not know if the incoming air filter would change things once installed.

Tomorrow if weather permits, I will pull the airbox and check the slides, and the o-rings like Philskat suggests.

I forgot to mention, when I put it back together the second time, I was able to take it out for a 5 minute joy ride. It performed wonderfully, except for the rough idle (had not sync'd), until it stalled out on me while entering a corner. Since then it has reverted to this.

Another quick question, how am I supposed to get the vacuum covers off the nipples to do the sync with the carbs on the bike? My stubby fingers aren't going to fit in there!

Sorry if I am giving you guys too much useless info here... I used to be in Tech Support and hated when people would ask for help and just say "My computer is not turning on" without giving any more info.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                        Well considering I clean them with hot soapy water plus steam cleaning before I put my mouth on it, does that make ya fell any better?? I'm sure my mouth has been on dirtier holes..................
                        I feel dirty now... and want minds eye bleach!

Originally posted by Bryer View Post
                        Another quick question, how am I supposed to get the vacuum covers off the nipples to do the sync with the carbs on the bike? My stubby fingers aren't going to fit in there!
                        Sounds like your headed down the right path on the other aspects. I suggest using 4 short pieces of vacuum tubing on the sync ports... and plug them off. Then, when time to sync... you plug your sync tool into the tubes... that are not sticking about 1" above the carbs.

You may have to remove the carbs to get those tubes on if your fingers are too stubby or fat.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Easy way to test the slides with a can of air.

YouTube- Slide works

Krey
                          That's pretty cool!

Comment

Alrighty, here's the skinny...

I turned the bike on without the airbox, and when I gave it a little throttle, all four sliders shook, but did not go up. I have a can of air, but I cannot figure out where to spray it to make mine behave the same way as in the video.

With the bike off, I manually raised each one of them. One and three went up all the way, two and four, however only raised about 3/4 of the way then i met resistance. Problem?

Edit: I reseated the springs in those two slides, and now they are moving freely. I am still getting the bogging down and stalling though. To see if it would make any difference, I placed my hand over the intake hole, without covering it all the way, and was able to rev the bike without it stalling. This to me says it is the filter, yes?
                            Last edited by Bryer; 03-03-2010, 03:04 PM.

Comment

You need the airbox on for it to run correctly. So yes, put the airbox and filter back on.

Comment

Working...
                              X