Runs Rough - Pipes on Cylinders #2 & 4 cold

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runs Rough - Pipes on Cylinders #2 & 4 cold

-
    Last edited by bwiencek; 02-28-2010, 11:03 PM.
    1994 katana 600 - little TLC and she'll be good as new...

pull all the plugs (with wires attached), and turn it over while looking at the ends of the plugs... if theyre not getting spark, you'll know....
    "How about you come over to Myspace and Twitter my Yahoo until I Google all over your Facebook"

Comment

Bike parked for a while on the kickstand... leaning left? Carbs for the pre fill in sets, 2 and 4 would be the higher "sets" so probably the quicker the dry out, leaving behind a varnish film to clog jets?

Just conjecture, but ... I would guess you need to clean the carbs.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

nb
        Last edited by bwiencek; 02-28-2010, 11:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Carbs.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Spark plug foul easy, check/ clean them while you're at it..

Comment

There are a lot of plugs that fit. I would stick with the dr8's

More than likely it's the pilot jets if it was me I would run a couple of tablespoons of seafoam in the tank and ride it around the block a couple of times.

Comment

Firing order isn't going to change, just FYI.
                Look at the engine number (stamped on the top of the clutch cover (the one with the oil filler and sight glass) compare that with the frame VIN (on the frame nearest the stering stem on the right side.) I think the last set of digits should match up.
                The spark plug for 88-95 600 is the DR8

Comment

Originally posted by O.T. View Post
                  There are a lot of plugs that fit. I would stick with the dr8's
                  The "correct" DR8's are WAY too big on the threaded end - it's got a 12mm threaded section and the plugs that came out of the engine have a 10mm threaded section - can't screw a 12mm plug into a 10mm hole - hence the reason that I don't know what engine I've really got!

Comment

Originally posted by bwiencek
                    OK Guys - I've only had this bike for 4 years and when I got it I pulled the plugs, replaced them with the same thing, and all was good - well I decided to get some plugs today and got the part number for the '94 and it shows a DR8ES - 12mm 5/8 hex plug. When I pull the plugs I've got CR7E's in there and they're notably smaller - looked them up and it's a 10mm 5/8 hex plug - so now I'm wondering has the engine been swapped with something else? Later model? early GSXR?? I looked up and the early GSXR and later katana's both used a 10mm 5/8 plug (CR9EK for the most part)

Any easy way to ID the engine and see what I've really got so I can get the right plugs and figure out the other specs on it (carb float heights, firing order, etc.)
                    94 600 stock should be the NGK DR8ES (standard) or NGK DR8EIX (iridium) (88-95)

96+ uses NGK CR9EK (standard) or NGK CR9EIX (iridium)

Best I can tell, the CR7Es were used for mostly Suzuki and Kawa ATVs. Other zuki 600s used either the CR8 or the CR9 across the GSXR and RFs, etc...

Info from http://www.ngksparkplugs.com

It's possible there have been inserts for the threads added to enable the smaller plugs to be inserted.

There is an engine code on a flat spot just above the oil fill area, to help identify things.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by bwiencek
                      Engine code is a N705-170xxx - which from what I see on the internet is correct for a 598cc (600) 4-stroke engine but the "05" revision number I can't find anything about but it's low enough that I've got to assume it's not a newer katana engine. Could it possibly be an early GSXR600 (since they used a 10mm plug) I've heard of guys swapping in the 750 engines so I guess the 600 should fit???
                      You can look for the S-# stamp on the head to determine the specific head you have for that motor (GSXR, Kat, etc...) There is an active thread right now discussing where/how to find the stamp on the head.

GSXRs are listed as using the cr9es. I wasn't able to find any of the larger CC bikes that used a 7 plug.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Maybe inserts they didn't make a oil-cooled gsxr 600.

Comment

There's an S-1 on the bottom of #3's intake runner and then a circle shaped pad that had something that I couldn't really make out and then a line and E0 below it.

If I read that other post I see that this is a "Slingshot" head and is supposed to be better flowing? The jugs say SO now what - do I have the "GSXR style" head and just need to get the plugs for that head? I did check the casting on the jugs and if I saw it right it says 598cc (at least I know it's a 588 or 598 I think - could be a 599 but I'm pretty sure the last digit was an 8.)

Comment

The slingshot head will have a dime size dot casting in the side fins. It doesn't flow better it has a smaller compression chamber. It increases compression.

If it is a Bandit engine It would of had silver paint.

Comment

Working...
                            X