Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Wonder why those carb screws are so hard to get out?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder why those carb screws are so hard to get out?

This may be a repost but Ive never heard of it before. Apparently the phillip head screws in the Carbs are different than normal phillip heads.

Anyoe else know this?

Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
    This may be a repost but Ive never heard of it before. Apparently the phillip head screws in the Carbs are different than normal phillip heads.

Anyoe else know this?

http://www.cycleorings.com/phillips.html
    The reason I quickly replace all of them with stainless hex heads anytime a tear into a set of carbs...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

+1

too many headaches from those little star ba$tards.

My ivans jet kit came with them, I guess they know better too.

I've found sometimes I can sneak a little pair of channel locks I have on the screw head and crack em loose. That way the head doesn't get stripped.

Jet

Comment

+2, always replace with hex cap screws. I hate getting the phillips out, but at least I only have to get them out one time.....
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

impact driver to get them out might work. $20 or so @ sears

Comment

JIS screws are common on Japanese bikes. The screwdrivers for them are easily bought online and are not expensive.
            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Yes, we've been talking about JIS screws for years. I'm still trying to find an economical source for drivers.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                I'm still trying to find an economical source for drivers.
                http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...iver&Submit=Go

Comment

I've got an impact driver, and probably two dozen types of Phillips bits.

What I don't have, are JIS bits... http://www.rjrcooltools.com/vessel.cfm
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

kramiton, you are a braver man than I. I would never use impact driver on a little carb. If, say a man did such a thing, a re-sync would be mandatory. Maybe you wouldn't either and I misunderstood...

A bike mechanic that seems to know his stuff told me that even if you are rough getting the carbs into or out of the bike, a re-sync is usually required because of the flex of the assembly of all 4 together.

As for impact tools, I have a Snap-on air hammer, with a Snap-on driver that goes into the air hammer with bits. So, picture an air hammer with a philips screwdriver sicking out the end with a handle to turn it. It works like a charm. Just a little rattle and a twist of the wrist takes out all phillips screws.

That said, I never use it on carbs.

Jet

Comment

I ALWAYS use the impact when opening the carbs for the first time.

Then replace with with hex heads.
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I found I had good luck with a 1/4 drive socket, a good phillips head bit and a long extension. I put the carb on the ground (piece of carpet under it) and leaned into the handle. They broke free really easily.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                          I ALWAYS use the impact when opening the carbs for the first time.

Then replace with with hex heads.
                          +1.

And if you're doing carb work, you should probably be syncing them anyway, so no harm done.
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

What kind of impact driver are you guys using? I have a driver that I think is turned directly by the hammer blow (takes a pretty good hit to turn it), and I wouldn't use that.

But I think I've also seen an impact screwdriver that just required you to push on it hard (compressing a spring but not turning the driver), and once it reached a certain threshold it would release all that spring energy with an impact. I don't have one these, but I would use it if I did.

Comment

Originally posted by paul.miner View Post
                              What kind of impact driver are you guys using? I have a driver that I think is turned directly by the hammer blow (takes a pretty good hit to turn it), and I wouldn't use that.
                              That's the one.....

I take all the black caps off, pull the slides, and set the carbs upside down on a piece of carpet. I've never damaged anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X