X

Exhaust gasket questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust gasket questions

Switching to post 750 header on a pre 600 wondering if I'd need gaskets special sized for the new header by any chance? Do I just use the oem gaskets for my bike?

Also can anyone suggest a good place to buy exhaust gaskets and bolts / bolt kits? Thanks
    For sale thread Album
    1991 Katana 600 - sold

i prefer oem
    Chrome Project Part 1
    http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Originally posted by Islandsteve View Post
      Switching to post 750 header on a pre 600 wondering if I'd need gaskets special sized for the new header by any chance? Do I just use the oem gaskets for my bike?

Also can anyone suggest a good place to buy exhaust gaskets and bolts / bolt kits? Thanks
      Should be the same exhaust gaskets between all pre and post kats. Bolts may be different, use the ones for the header your putting on the bike (length is the difference if any... same thread size/pitch).

Any OEM parts dealer can get those for you. HS2020 for example I believe can order the parts for cheap. Check your local dealer as well, there may not be much of a difference after you add in shipping.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Or you could buy up a factory pro shift kit, since it will include a new oil pan gasket and exhaust gaskets, as well as the added bonus of the detent spring itself.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

thanks all, that's odd that a shift kit would come with exhaust bolts and gaskets. When installing the shift kit do u do it through the oil pan or something why do they include the sump gasket?? What is involved in installing the new ball detent?

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
          Or you could buy up a factory pro shift kit, since it will include a new oil pan gasket and exhaust gaskets, as well as the added bonus of the detent spring itself.
          For sale thread Album
          1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

thanks all, that's odd that a shift kit would come with exhaust bolts and gaskets. When installing the shift kit do u do it through the oil pan or something why do they include the sump gasket?? What is involved in installing the new ball detent?
            The spring is installed under the oil pan, yes. I've never installed one of the ball-bearing detent arms, just the stiffer spring, so I don't know what all is involved with that. I believe it's still pretty simple, though.

BTW- if you do install the shift kit, lock a small pair of vice grips or a hemostat or something onto the spring while you're working with it (the new one and the old one)........ not fun and hard to find if it goes flying!
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Lol, I'm still looking for my spare master cylinder piston spring...it's been a while. For some reason I assumed a shift kit would naturally live around the clutch, stupid me. So what's the reason it comes with exhaust gaskets just cause u gotta take the exhaust off to remove oil pan? Hrm, sounds money wise to do that, I've got to order a jet kit from them anyways
              For sale thread Album
              1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

So what's the reason it comes with exhaust gaskets just cause u gotta take the exhaust off to remove oil pan?
                Yup, you got it!

I think I paid $30-35 for mine, from Dennis Kirk. It's worth every penny just for the more reassuring "snick" from the shifter...... in your case the sump gasket and exhaust gaskets just sweeten the deal.

Comment

Working...
                X