X

Ran out of gas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran out of gas

Took my kat out for a 50 mile run around town today. With some 100mph sprints on the back open roads. I just changes the plugs and fuel filter. On my way home the bike acted like it was running out of gas gauge showed just below a 1/4 tank but not into the red yet. I put it on res and it started and ran to the gas station fine, but it only took 2.3 gallons to fill so it wasn't out of gas. I did notice that once early in the ride it seems to stumble around 4000 rpm. I'm not sure what happen? After I filled drove another 15 miles with out any issues at all?

BTW it did have a strong smell of fuel after restarting while it was still warm for riding. That was before it ran out of gas, but I could find any leaks?
    2003 Katana 750F
    1986 VFR 700F

dirt in the line? no you said you just changed the filter. maybe an air bubble? wish i could help..
    sigpic
    "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Some kind of vapor lock?

Comment

did you keep the choke on too long and foul the plugs?
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

If it happens again, turn the petcock to prime and see if it improves. This would verify if you have an issue with the petcock diaphram or amount of vacuum applied to the diaphram is prevening full flow of the fuel. Vacuum line with a hole or crack, holes in the diaphram, etc... reasons that could lower the fuel flow enought that the amount of fuel in the tank will directly effect how much flows (the more above it in the tank, the more pressure to push it through...).

Other things I would consider...

Fuel Filter clogged.
          Dirt/sediment/rust in the carb bowls.
          Water/trash in the bottom of the fuel tank.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

maybe your floats were sticking or possibly your petcock is on its way out

Comment

i would say fuel filter or petcock issue. You can buy a rebuilt kit for your petcock on ebay for really cheap
              sigpic
              If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

I put over 5000 miles on the bike last spring to fall without an issue. I change the plugs and fuel filter now an issue. So I'm thinking some how related to new filter,or vacuum line? I didn't use the stock strainer filter I used an after market paper filter wonder if some how it's causing less gas to flow as the tank gets lower? Does that make sense to any one else?
                2003 Katana 750F
                1986 VFR 700F

Comment

Originally posted by Fastymz View Post
                  I put over 5000 miles on the bike last spring to fall without an issue. I change the plugs and fuel filter now an issue. So I'm thinking some how related to new filter,or vacuum line? I didn't use the stock strainer filter I used an after market paper filter wonder if some how it's causing less gas to flow as the tank gets lower? Does that make sense to any one else?
                  Makes perfect sense, and is very likely the issue. The paper filters are not high flow filters.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I switch the fuel filter back to the stock unit. and I rode the bike for an hour today without any issues. So hopefully that was the problem?
                    2003 Katana 750F
                    1986 VFR 700F

Comment

Sounds like it to me...

Why did you swap out the old one in the first place? They can be cleaned.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

I know,
                        I tried to be smarter then then the bike, and the bike always wins. LOL
                        2003 Katana 750F
                        1986 VFR 700F

Comment

Well I used a full tank of gas took it down as low as I could without one issue. So it had to have been the fuel filter. Lesson learned do not try to out smart the bike!
                          2003 Katana 750F
                          1986 VFR 700F

Comment

I'm glad it was a simple fix for you.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X