X

3rd Gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gear

ok i just wanted to see if there is problem with third gear or if its just me. If i am in the lower RPM range and in third gear and go to give it a generous amount of gas, it will pop out of gear. It doesn't do every time but i just want to make sure that there isn't a problem. I am not sure if its poping cause its just to low of an RPM for the gear or if there is a prob. Thanks

I had this happen to me once when I was riding two up with the girlfriend on the back. It kinda freaked me out, but after I let off the gas, it was fine. Haven't had it happen since.
    Nuff said.

Comment

huh, i had it happen 3 or 4 times to me, and you can hear what i think is the gear skiping or bouncing of the main gear. its the worst machanical sound i have ever heard but i just pull the clutch in and and down shift to 2nd and it fine and 2-3 shift is fine. i think that i might not be putting into gear all the way not sure. i will have mess with it when old man winter is done with all the snow

Comment

Lugging it in 3rd gear at low rpm puts to much stress on the internals, mainly the transmission parts and pieces. Your shift fork could be worn or your shift drum could also be worn or where the shift fork forks the gear could be worn or out of specs causing it to pop out of place. Maybe putting in one of those shift kits would resolve your problems but there is no way to be sure of it.

Comment

the bike has 14,XXX on it and its a 05' kat 600, I think i will just shift at a higher RPM and wait and see what happens if it starts to get worse then i will start to look into it a lil more. I really don't want to try to repair a trans yet, not to mention, i really would be learning on the fly. I have never seen the inside on a trans of bike, i'v seen and worked on an auto trans for a car but never seen the inside of a bike trans. i would think that it would very labor intensive to get to the guts of the trans

Comment

I think it will be ok if it isnt lugged around. like 3rd gear at 2-3 rpm is lugging id say. Lugging it at low rpm puts alot of jitters and vibration to all the mechanical parts, there are rubber spacers in the rear wheel sprocket to take in some of this forces

Comment

Originally posted by WildSide View Post
              ... go to give it a generous amount of gas, it will pop out of gear. ....
              Yes, that is a problem.

NO transmission should "pop" out of gear unless YOU choose to make it switch. If it does, it's a problem.

Once it's in gear, there should be no issues with acelerating either easily or hard.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Pop out of gear, or false neutral?
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Yes, that is a problem.

NO transmission should "pop" out of gear unless YOU choose to make it switch. If it does, it's a problem.

Once it's in gear, there should be no issues with acelerating either easily or hard.

Krey

My old car did that... hit the gas in 2nd gear...wait for the hairdryer to spool up....POPP VROOOOOMMM!!

Comment

Working...
                  X