X

Gas tank issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank issues

I'm taking apart my new to me 1993 GSX600F to clean the carbs/ re-jet it.
    I got the gas tank drained and was going to take the petcock out of the bottom of the gas tank rather than undoing all the hoses. I noticed that, while the bolts were spinning, they were not backing out at all.

So I aimed my light through the gas tank to look at the bolts while simultaneously turning one of the bolts, ultimately seeing how bad the design team did with this one. The nuts were turning with the bolt. Great design, probably held to the tank by a small tack weld.

Is there any way to do anything about this without buying another gas tank?

I was thinking of maybe using something to apply an adhesive that would hold the nut in place, but I don't know if there would be anything that wouldn't break down when filled with gas. Gorilla glue? Any other recommendations?

JB Weld man....

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
    -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Thanks for the link/ idea .... I knew there was something I was forgetting, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was.

Comment

It's a 93? Maybe a good time for some POR15 too...

-Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

It actually has had the POR 15 treatment done recently.

Comment

JB weld should do the trick, says on the label that it can be used for gas tanks. I patched a hole in my gas tank with JB weld still no leaks, not even paint fumes can get through to mess up the paint finish.

Comment

All I have to do now is fine something at the craft supply shop to get the JB weld on there ... 18" Q-tip? haha

Comment

You could always drill the head off the bolt or bolts and when the fuelcock is out of the tank you could have easy acces to do what you gotta do

Comment

Um- be careful there. I don't know if JB Weld will lock your bolts up, but I bet it'll give you a hell of a time breaking them loose if it cures 100% on them. A little bit of that stuff goes a long way.

-Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

I'll be curiuos how well the JB weld sticks to the Por-15 coating...

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                    X