X

Bike lost power, Need Help!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike lost power, Need Help!!!

well let me start off with I boutght my 2000 katana 600 about 4 months ago and it has been a great bike so far. I put a new chain on just before thanksgiving and a new clutch ( just the fibers, not the springs and metal plates) a week after the chain. About a week ago i was riding and all of a sudden the bike had no power, and by power i mean get up and go power. i was wondering if anybody has experienced this my first guess would be fouled plugs or timing but i am new to bikes and would like to get someone elses input before i start changing parts that dont need to be changed. Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

does it smoke or anything? does it idle rough or if your in neutral and you rev it up can you tell a change?
    sigpicwww.violationmotorcyclegear.com
    www.dfwsportbikes.org

Comment

I had similar situation
      I beleive it was water in the fuel caused by ethanol
      I did a tune up and added a half a can of Sea Foam to the fuel and she was all better
      But mine would back fire and was pretty much unridable
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

i had the same problem with my 2001 kat 600. I cleaned the carbs but didnt find much in them so i determined it was the fuel filter. Cost 2 bucks for a new one and my bike has been running like a champ ever since. I could also be a petcock problem with not enough fuel getting to the engine, or blocked air filter or intake. Id replace the fuel filter first though.
        sigpic
        If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

you could try draining your fuel bowls, it seems that is where the water sits
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by Phil0pitS View Post
            well let me start off with I boutght my 2000 katana 600 about 4 months ago and it has been a great bike so far. I put a new chain on just before thanksgiving and a new clutch ( just the fibers, not the springs and metal plates) a week after the chain. About a week ago i was riding and all of a sudden the bike had no power, and by power i mean get up and go power. i was wondering if anybody has experienced this my first guess would be fouled plugs or timing but i am new to bikes and would like to get someone elses input before i start changing parts that dont need to be changed. Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.
            I am assuming that nothing was done aside from what you said?
            The most common is Petcock and carbs and/or fuel in tank. From what you describe it sounds like it acted like it was running out of gas?
            That is fuel delivery, air hole in one of the rubber lines, petcock, carbs, and/or bad fuel like I mentioned. Keep us updated as to what you find.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I'm with Thaz, sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Also check for kinked or damaged fuel lines. On a long shot, check your filter air intake and make sure nothing is blocking it...like a hamster.
              Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
              Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I don't think the air filter, I had checked it out because I originally thought that one
                Of the boots was not sealed correctly on a carb. But I will get a fuel filter on my way home
                From work today. Can anyone give me any insight as to where it is located on the bike or how to get to it.

Oh yeah and it doesn't really idle rough or anything but when I open the throttle it doesn't sound the same
                Even if I'm riding in gear rev it up and dump the clutch it just doesn't have any power

Comment

I don't think the air filter, I had checked it out because I originally thought that one
                  Of the boots was not sealed correctly on a carb. But I will get a fuel filter on my way home
                  From work today. Can anyone give me any insight as to where it is located on the bike or how to get to it.

Oh yeah and it doesn't really idle rough or anything but when I open the throttle it doesn't sound the same
                  Even if I'm riding in gear rev it up and dump the clutch it just doesn't have any power
                  mine is a pre-kat but there are 2 fuel filters that you will see on the gas lines but first you must take all your fairings off and your gas tank off. to get to them.

you sir are in for one jolly good time.

been there done that. thats kinda the reason why i want to sell my kat because they are such a pain to work on. the next bike i get will have 1 carb and 1 cylinder and that is plenty enough for me.
                  " Chaos was the law of nature, Order was the dream of man "

my bike
                  95 pre-kat 750

Comment

so i'm guessing i can just use the universal filters instead of buying the bike specific filter because when i called they told me it was a little over $100 for the bike specific filter

Comment

After I bought my bike I had a similar problem. Just I didn't loose ALL power, just most. Turns out that the throttle cable that runs to the carb came loose and was barely connected. Where the plastic meets the metal post with the screws, it came off there completely. Just thought I would throw that possibility out there since it did happen to my bike...
                      sigpic

Comment

Are you sure all the plugs/cylinders are firing? You may have dropped a couple. An easy way to check (if you can start the bike) is to run it for a minute and then do a hand check....carefully. Touch the tubes....are they all hot??? If not, you've got
                        fouled plugs
                        coil issues
                        CDI issues
                        Just my thoughts.....and I'm no bike expert.....just my experience.
                        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Well I bought the fuel filter and was not able to locate the filter. I tried to replace the one on the hose that
                          Runs from the petcock but the hose was too big to fit on the filter. I did however notice that the throttle
                          Cable was loose so I put it in its place but the problem remains the same. Also it is not ALL POWER that
                          I am loosing, just most of it. I can start the bike up and ride It, I just choose not to because I'm not sure
                          Exactly what the problem is and I don't know if its going to get worse or turn into something more costly

Comment

Well I bought the fuel filter and was not able to locate the filter. I tried to replace the one on the hose that
                            Runs from the petcock but the hose was too big to fit on the filter. I did however notice that the throttle
                            Cable was loose so I put it in its place but the problem remains the same. Also it is not ALL POWER that
                            I am loosing, just most of it. I can start the bike up and ride It, I just choose not to because I'm not sure
                            Exactly what the problem is and I don't know if its going to get worse or turn into something more costly
                            You dont have to have fuel filters to run your bike. If you dont have the right filters just hook up the fuel lines and see if that helps. This will atleast rule out a clogged filter. Have you tried running your bike on Prime to see if it a petcock flow issue?
                            Originally posted by arsenic
                            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Working...
                            X