how to clean these carbs? (outside)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to clean these carbs? (outside)

My carbs look a bit grim on the outside,

Whats the best way to clean them up? think inside them is probally ok, is there a quick way to check?

pictures : http://itfben.co.uk/#5.31

Last edited by itfben; 12-26-2009, 11:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    owner of a very ill and upset 1989 GSX600F. - poor baby!

Originally posted by itfben View Post

Whats the best way to clean them up? think inside them is probally ok, is there a quick way to check?

pictures : http://itfben.co.uk/#5.31

degreaser and a scrub brush.
    Inside, you need to take the bowls off to look.
    Last edited by JayBell; 12-26-2009, 11:12 PM.

See My Garage for mods...
    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

get some carb cleaner and take off the floats and jets. Clean out bowls and jets with carb cleaner, i let the jets soak in it for a while then blow air thru them. There is a nice writeup with pics here but he doesnt clean the jets in this thread which you should do since you have it off and apart. There are some good vids on youtube that can walk you thru it.

How-To: Mechanical - How To: Clean your carbs - How to carb carburetorcleaning clean Did a search and didn't see anything about how to clean your carbs, even though it's pretty easy to do some people think it's a fairly daunting task, so I decided I'd snap a bunch of pictures while I did mine and make a quick...
      sigpic
      If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

Went to your link for the pics, That bike is in need of some major TLC! I'd take the bike completely apart and clean and fix all problems. have fun and good luck!

Comment

I think the insides will be extreamly varnished up. The butterflies look like they have varnish pooled on them at the bottom edges.

Disassembly fully removing all jets, and use a carb dip to clean all hard parts. Do not put any plastic/rubber parts in the carb dip.

Check all plastic/rubber parts and replace any that are cracked, hard, mishapen, or otherwise not in mint condition.

Anything less, and your probably going to spend the next 3 years cursing how the bike runs.

BTW, by doing that... you clean outside and in at the same time.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

If you end up rebuilding the carbs, send them to me once you have taken them apart (before you rebuild them), and I can make them look great:

Before and after:

It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

wow sasquatch that looks good, what does that cost? how'd you get them that clean?

itfben... if i were you id clean them really good inside and out...jus mi 0.2 cents

Comment

You have your hands full with that bike!
                completely disassemble the rack of carbs and soak in this stuff

0996-LA
                http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Port...T/0996c-LA.pdf
                Last edited by ThAzKat; 12-27-2009, 09:08 AM.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                  degreaser and a scrub brush.
                  Inside, you need to take the bowls off to look.
                  Any old degreaser? Scrub brush - good idea - cheers JB!

Originally posted by beachflyer View Post
                  get some carb cleaner and take off the floats and jets. Clean out bowls and jets with carb cleaner, i let the jets soak in it for a while then blow air thru them. There is a nice writeup with pics here but he doesnt clean the jets in this thread which you should do since you have it off and apart. There are some good vids on youtube that can walk you thru it.

http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40713
                  Ok cheers, bit worried about this though as a Newbie, if i take the Jets out to clean, if gota put them back in, havent they gota be screwed it right? - is this easy to fu*k up? The bowls sounds easy, but jets sounds little more complex. Still with sound great info avaible on here, I dont really want to pay some garage to do it for me. Il check out the link, Im heard there are some great write ups on cleaning the insides up.

Originally posted by WildSide View Post
                  Went to your link for the pics, That bike is in need of some major TLC! I'd take the bike completely apart and clean and fix all problems. have fun and good luck!
                  Tell me about it. :P Unfortunately WildSide, I just dont have the space to do a complete rebuild plus, I would liek a new bike in June so i would be selling this (well i plan to at the moment) so might be a waste of money too, just want to get it in good condition and back on the road. Then do bits to it bit by bit. Complete rebuild would be allot of fun but like i said - lack of space.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  I think the insides will be extreamly varnished up. The butterflies look like they have varnish pooled on them at the bottom edges.

Disassembly fully removing all jets, and use a carb dip to clean all hard parts. Do not put any plastic/rubber parts in the carb dip.

Check all plastic/rubber parts and replace any that are cracked, hard, mishapen, or otherwise not in mint condition.

Anything less, and your probably going to spend the next 3 years cursing how the bike runs.

BTW, by doing that... you clean outside and in at the same time.

Krey
                  Varish/ed?
                  Thanks for the heads up on the rubber/plastic parts
                  Replacing plastic/rubber parts - this pretty cheap? even from Suzuki? As a Newbie how do I know if they arent mint? or is it just obvious?
                  I dont plan on having the bike for 3 years, plan to sell in June 2010, not to say I dont want it to run nicely though.
                  Cleaning the outside and in at the same time - does sound logically to do. I just couldnt find another thread on hear without major search, that was on cleaning the outside.

Originally posted by Sasquatch View Post
                  If you end up rebuilding the carbs, send them to me once you have taken them apart (before you rebuild them), and I can make them look great:

Before and after:

I second what 2 WheelnPit says, "wow sasquatch that looks good, what does that cost? how'd you get them that clean?"

Originally posted by 2wheelnPit View Post
                  wow sasquatch that looks good, what does that cost? how'd you get them that clean?

itfben... if i were you id clean them really good inside and out...jus mi 0.2 cents
                  I second that buddy, I what to know too, it does look cool.

It does make sense ot do out ad in at the same time. cheers.

Originally posted by ThAzKat View Post
                  You have your hands full with that bike!
                  completely disassemble the rack of carbs and soak in this stuff

0996-LA
                  http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Port...T/0996c-LA.pdf
                  useful contribution as always ThAzKat How much do they need to be disambled before I put them in? I presume instruction of use would be on tin so i wont ask questions abotu how long they should be in there for. I will google this item to find out if it is avaible in the UK too.

Thanks all for you contribuations, I am actually thinking of just putting them back on my back as they are, puting bike back to gether and getting it road worthly, then I can play around at weekends taking these back of and cleanign them up?

Comment

SONIC cleaner & SODA blaster!!! Ray
                    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Ok cheers, bit worried about this though as a Newbie, if i take the Jets out to clean, if gota put them back in, havent they gota be screwed it right? - is this easy to fu*k up? The bowls sounds easy, but jets sounds little more complex. ......

Tell me about it. :P Unfortunately WildSide, I just dont have the space to do a complete rebuild plus, I would liek a new bike in June so i would be selling this (well i plan to at the moment) so might be a waste of money too, just want to get it in good condition and back on the road. ......

Varish/ed?
                      Thanks for the heads up on the rubber/plastic parts
                      Replacing plastic/rubber parts - this pretty cheap? even from Suzuki? As a Newbie how do I know if they arent mint? or is it just obvious?
                      I dont plan on having the bike for 3 years, plan to sell in June 2010, not to say I dont want it to run nicely though.
                      Cleaning the outside and in at the same time - does sound logically to do. I just couldnt find another thread on hear without major search, that was on cleaning the outside.

useful contribution as always ThAzKat How much do they need to be disambled before I put them in? I presume instruction of use would be on tin so i wont ask questions abotu how long they should be in there for. I will google this item to find out if it is avaible in the UK too.

Thanks all for you contribuations, I am actually thinking of just putting them back on my back as they are, puting bike back to gether and getting it road worthly, then I can play around at weekends taking these back of and cleanign them up?

Varnish refers to a laquer like coating that occurs when gas is allowed to evaporate/sit for long periods of time. It coats everywhere, stops ups/blocks off the jets and passages, and overall prevents the carbs from working correctly.

Carbs not working right means the bike won't run right. Halfway cleaning them by using some carb spray will not resolve all the issues, and is the reason many who "clean" them still have issues getting the bike to run right. It was not fully cleaned well.

Here is a pic of heavy varnished bowls from another bike type set of carbs as an example... See the yellowish coating on the inside? If you look at the other side you can see it's coated onto the other parts as well.

Jets seat all the way in. You don't half to worry about adjusting them. Screw them down tight, don't over torque them. The key is to use a screwdriver that properly fits the slot for the jet when removing them, as this prevents them from being damaged on removal.

See this PDF for full detailed pics and steps on carb cleaning for your carbs.

http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...e:Carbs101.pdf

Go slow, read and re-read the steps. Keep track of all parts. Do only 1 carb at a time. You will be fine.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Varnish refers to a laquer like coating that occurs when gas is allowed to evaporate/sit for long periods of time. It coats everywhere, stops ups/blocks off the jets and passages, and overall prevents the carbs from working correctly.

Carbs not working right means the bike won't run right. Halfway cleaning them by using some carb spray will not resolve all the issues, and is the reason many who "clean" them still have issues getting the bike to run right. It was not fully cleaned well.

Here is a pic of heavy varnished bowls from another bike type set of carbs as an example... See the yellowish coating on the inside? If you look at the other side you can see it's coated onto the other parts as well.

Jets seat all the way in. You don't half to worry about adjusting them. Screw them down tight, don't over torque them. The key is to use a screwdriver that properly fits the slot for the jet when removing them, as this prevents them from being damaged on removal.

See this PDF for full detailed pics and steps on carb cleaning for your carbs.

http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...e:Carbs101.pdf

Go slow, read and re-read the steps. Keep track of all parts. Do only 1 carb at a time. You will be fine.

Krey
                        Cheers Krey, I found these listing on ebay for Ultrasonic carb cleaning:

Is it a waste of money?

Comment

Cheers Krey, I found these listing on ebay for Ultrasonic carb cleaning:

Is it a waste of money?
                          Services worth it to you may differ to me...

When I see prices for services close enough to the cost of the tools to do it myself, I generally try to pick up the tools.

You have already stated your space limited though, so...

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Services worth it to you may differ to me...

When I see prices for services close enough to the cost of the tools to do it myself, I generally try to pick up the tools.

You have already stated your space limited though, so...

Krey
                            Fair point.

Comment

didn't i just bookmark a post showing how to make a soda blaster for cheep?www.aircooledtech.com /tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/
                              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                              X