No announcement yet.
X

Finally got it started, having trouble with high idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or junk stuck in the needle seats . Been there , done that .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Thats a good thing to check, I didn't think of that. I'll put it on the list for this weekend.
      My bike: 1990 Katana GSX750-F

Comment

Ok, I readjusted the floats on the 3 and 4 carbs and they were infact off. The 1 and 2 carbs looked like they should so I didn't check them. Put everything back together and the bike ran better. I synched the carbs with some carb sticks and the bike ran great. Surging idle was gone, it was idling at 1250 and everything was happy.

I put the hole bike together and my friend came over to check it all out. He took it for a drive and it worked great for a little while but it died on him. I had to run the choke and about 1/2 to get the bike to stay running. We thought it might be a fuel problem because I put the rest of the gas from my gas can in the tank and it ran a lot better. Tried taking it to the gas station and it was a pain in the ***. The bike stalled out every time I was at a stop unless I used the choke or reved it up to 2000 while siting.

Got it back from the gas station and just let it sit. Checked it this morning and found that once it gets warm it would run at high rpms like before, around 2500 rpm. Took the tank off and ran it off the fuel bottle again, I was hoping the petcock was the issue. Its still running around 2500. If I lower the idle a bit it will come down and then I have to bump it back up or the bike will stall but it will hold around 1100 rpm. If I rev it from there at all it will climb to about 2500 and sit there again.

If I cover the air box hole with my hand, the motor rpm barely increases. It will come up a few hundred rpm if I cover almost the entire hole. If I cover it more then the bike stalls.

One more piece of info, I set my AF screws to 3 turns before I put it all back together but after doing that the bike ran better then ever.

Any ideas ?

Comment

Is the gas tank clean? anything floating in the tank that may block the fuel flow?
          What if you idle the bike with the fuel cap open?

Comment

As far as I can tell the tank is clean because when I removed the petcock to rebuild it there was no junk in the screen at all.

I am currently running the bike off of a fuel bottle so the tank is out of the equation unless some junk from the tank go into the carbs and is causing the issue now.

I am going to put an inline clear fuel filter on both the bottle and the tank. I keep forgetting to do it. Cheap piece of mind....

Comment

having to run the choke sounds to me like crap in the carbs it doesn't take much to mess them up. On my other bike i had to clean the carbs 3 times to get them clean then run some sea foam or marvels mystery oil in the gas it will finish cleaning them up.
              1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

Can anyone SHOW me where the idle adjustment screw is on a 94 Kat 600?

Comment

Originally posted by DerrickJr View Post
                  Can anyone SHOW me where the idle adjustment screw is on a 94 Kat 600?
                  connected to the bottom of your carbs. There should be a cable hanging out the side of the bike (left foot side). Turn clockwise to increase idle rpm and counter-clockwise to decrease idle rpm.

Comment

Nope, no cable. I even have a Clymer guide and the thing just isn't there. Thats why I was wondering if anyone could post pics of what it SHOULD look like. What ever shall I do?
                    Last edited by DerrickJr; 10-06-2010, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Nope, no cable. I even have a Clymer guide and the thing just isn't there. Thats why I was wondering if anyone could post pics of what it SHOULD look like. What ever shall I do?
                      KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
                      and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.
                      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

take a pic of the carbs, maybe your were swapped?

Comment

it should screw in under the throttle in the center of the carbs.

Comment

Thanks Kevin. That helped out a lot. My carbs have the two wire brackets where the cable is supposed to be. At least now I know where it goes. All you guys rock.

Comment

Working...
                            X