Finally got it started, having trouble with high idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asmodeous View Post
    Nealy, I think you jinxed me a bit....

Ok, so I'm guessing the float on my #4 carb is not set properly. Here are two pics:

Did someone say leak ?? You should be able to see the pool o gas there in the #4 carb. This is occouring because the float isn't closing right ?

Had a nice pool of gas under the bike. I had to take a break from the bike today after I got the choke working because my car REALLY needed an oil change. When I came back I was like... why does the garage smell like gas... so much more then usual....? Doh !

Any suggestions ?
    Thats normal. When you fire the bike up just rev it to 10,000rpm to clean it out then go ride it. When your done just turn the gas off and let it idle till you use all the gas in the carb bowls. Or you can adjust the float.
    Takeing blowing up porta potties to a whole new level!!!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MrSandman818 View Post
      Thats normal. When you fire the bike up just rev it to 10,000rpm to clean it out then go ride it. When your done just turn the gas off and let it idle till you use all the gas in the carb bowls. Or you can adjust the float.
      You have NO idea what you're talking about , do you ?

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      There isn't a "set" specification for the vacuum for you to set it that way. There also isn't a "master" carb.
      No , 3 is the "master" .

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Sounds like some lean conditions are presenting themselves with the hanging idle. But... if the sync is way out, that could cause some issues.
      Indeed . Whether it's crap still in the carbs (seen it on carbs cleaned THRICE , once by myself ) , or a vacuum leak , you got a lean condition for some reason . My pilots are set around 2 , but that's on a pre-750 , so ....
      Last edited by md86; 12-28-2009, 02:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Also high idle can also be from old o-rings. My bike decided to idle at 5-6grand once it warmed up because I decided I needed to rejet it. It helps when then o-rings in the diaphram houseing dont fall out. But the o-ring sleeve deals where the t-line from the fuel line goes into the carbs was all cracked. When I replaced those it made my bike regular again. It was like giveing fiber to a old person
        sigpic

Comment

Did someone say leak ??
          Possibly the float needle has some junk hung up in it , bad o-rings (didn't you tell me you were replacing them via PM ....) , or WAY mis-adjusted float . Pools o' gas ain't normal . Plus , you MAY have to consider the possibility of a dying petcock .

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
            You have NO idea what you're talking about , do you ?

No , 3 is the "master" .

Indeed . Whether it's crap still in the carbs (seen it on carbs cleaned THRICE , once by myself ) , or a vacuum leak , you got a lean condition for some reason . My pilots are set around 2 , but that's on a pre-750 , so ....
            AH HAHAHAHA! Or do I.
            sigpic

Comment

AH HAHAHAHA! Or do I.
              Um , no . Yeah , the "Italian tune-up" DOES sometimes help to clean some of the carbon out of an engine that's been babied too long , but revving a Kat up to 10K upon startup ...... that's just asking for premature engine wear . So "no" , I don't think you fully know what you're talking about .

Comment

Um , no . Yeah , the "Italian tune-up" DOES sometimes help to clean some of the carbon out of an engine that's been babied too long , but revving a Kat up to 10K upon startup ...... that's just asking for premature engine wear . So "no" , I don't think you fully know what you're talking about .
                I like you, but your crazy man. Just run some lucas in the oil and you dont have to worry about dry starts and wearing everything out in the head. Its ok, im a professional.
                sigpic

Comment

I like you, but your crazy man. Just run some lucas in the oil and you dont have to worry about dry starts and wearing everything out in the head. Its ok, im a professional.
                  I'm inclined to put you on ignore , but I'm afraid I may have to watch you for more bad advice in the future .....

Comment

I think MrSandman818 was being sarcastic when he made that post....

I'm not running the bike off the tank right now, I'm running it off of a fuel bottle that I have hanging higher then the carbs and I'm gravity feeding the setup. I've never had a giant pool o' fuel until today. I didn't put a fuel filter on my fuel bottle because I'm smart but some times only smart enough to get myself into trouble.... I'm going to add an in-line fuel filter to the setup this weekend and see if the float is stuck open from junk that came out of the fuel bottle or maybe it was just not properly adjusted....

Edit:
                    Ok, I just saw post #37 and you aren't joking about that are you.....?
                    10,000 RPM on start up is bad news bears......
                    The largest percentage by far of any and all engine wear (excluding oil pump failure or lack of oil) is engine startup.
                    Last edited by Asmodeous; 12-28-2009, 02:43 AM.
                    My bike: 1990 Katana GSX750-F

Comment

I'm inclined to put you on ignore , but I'm afraid I may have to watch you for more bad advice in the future .....
                      I think MrSandman818 was being sarcastic when he made that post....

I'm not running the bike off the tank right now, I'm running it off of a fuel bottle that I have hanging higher then the carbs and I'm gravity feeding the setup. I've never had a giant pool o' fuel until today. I didn't put a fuel filter on my fuel bottle because I'm smart but some times only smart enough to get myself into trouble.... I'm going to add an in-line fuel filter to the setup this weekend and see if the float is stuck open from junk that came out of the fuel bottle or maybe it was just not properly adjusted....
                      You cant ignore me! Im full of wisdom my friend.

And Asmodeous is right. Im just a sarcastic diesel mechanic. I just love seeing those guys(usually harley riders) wrap it out the second it comes to life to show off for all the cougars in the bar. But what do I know, I ride a streetbike.

And yeah its possible that you have pig and chickens stuck in carb #4. You'll never really know till you pull those puppies apart and play sherlock holmes. And why would you use a dirty fuel bottle? or was it just old fuel? Either way I would think that it would be more likely to get crud in your carbs from your fuel tank.
                      sigpic

Comment

You cant ignore me! Im full of wisdom my friend.

And Asmodeous is right. Im just a sarcastic diesel mechanic. I just love seeing those guys(usually harley riders) wrap it out the second it comes to life to show off for all the cougars in the bar. But what do I know, I ride a streetbike.

And yeah its possible that you have pig and chickens stuck in carb #4. You'll never really know till you pull those puppies apart and play sherlock holmes. And why would you use a dirty fuel bottle? or was it just old fuel? Either way I would think that it would be more likely to get crud in your carbs from your fuel tank.
                        Dude , sarcasm don't come across so well in this medium (print) , ESPECIALLY when you're acting like you're trying to help someone . I TRY to help people (a LOT) , but when I'm being sarcastic , I think my exaggerated use of smilies shows that . Also , "the first step to wisdom is knowing that you know nothing" .

Comment

It was a brand new bottle but I was filling the new bottle from a gas can that has been around for a while. Its fresh gas but I imagine that there was crap in the can. Doesn't really matter, I should have a filter on there as part of the setup no matter what.

BTW, might want to be a little more careful with the sarcasm... some people will blindly follow what is said on these tech forums.

Comment

Dude , you plug the vacuum port ?

Comment

Definitely.

Comment

Dude , sarcasm don't come across so well in this medium (print) , ESPECIALLY when you're acting like you're trying to help someone . I TRY to help people (a LOT) , but when I'm being sarcastic , I think my exaggerated use of smilies shows that .
                                It was a brand new bottle but I was filling the new bottle from a gas can that has been around for a while. Its fresh gas but I imagine that there was crap in the can. Doesn't really matter, I should have a filter on there as part of the setup no matter what.

BTW, might want to be a little more careful with the sarcasm... some people will blindly follow what is said on these tech forums.
                                haha, miscuzie! Maybe we should put this link on a harley forum so they will finally realize that that is THE WORST thing that you can possibly do to any internal combustion engine! Then I can finally stop cringing whenever I see those guys go fire their bikes up!

Id lean more towards adjusting your float though. Thats the only thing that I can think of that causes carbs to flood like that.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X