Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teh_K
    replied
    Originally posted by The CyberPoet
    Funny thing: I've looked through the various fiche files for the Kats and never seen that rubber sheet in any of them...
    Oo! Oo! I found it!

According to RonAyer's fiche, it's on 750Kats from years '98 to '03. It's #22 on this link:

It also says it's an "air guide plate". Does this shed any light on what it does (anything more specific than to 'guide air')?

Edit: Damn, that was a $40 piece I cut, lol

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    put a balloon around the coils LOL

Leave a comment:

• Teh_K
    replied
    Originally posted by THAZKAT
    Ditto Cyber so there will be a few of you wondering why the bike isn't running right when at operating temperature, in wet weather etc. LMAO
    Do you really think it will make a difference, Thaz?

I don't think I have a Cali model 'cause I don't hear that infamous fan that keeps running, and I didn't see any PAIR valve anywhere near the HC coils or under the gas tank (not that I really know what it looks like :P)

Because I was stubborn and didn't want to drop the oil cooler, I ended up cutting the rubber cover in 4 strategic places where I could just pull it out for now, and I could technically put it back and just secure it with zip ties or something (but it would probably not need them).

I did get some dielectric grease for this project, and I noticed the bottom of the gas tank had foam heat pads on it...

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    Ditto Cyber so there will be a few of you wondering why the bike isn't running right when at operating temperature, in wet weather etc. LMAO

I am on call!!

Leave a comment:

• Süsser Tod
    replied
    My 91 CA 750 HAD it, it was so annoying and old that I just flexed it enough till it broke and fell to the floor by itself

Leave a comment:

• skasner
    replied
    I had one of those rubber thingys on my previous bike (Yamaha XJ600S) and I cut it off... it was annouying me and part of it was hanging out and looked like shiate.

It didnt cause me any grief.

Leave a comment:

• Teh_K
    replied
    Drat, now I'm slightly paranoid about getting water on the coils or having my tank explode from excess heat or something... and I'm not as comfortable as Lou is with being on fire :P

Leave a comment:

• SweetLou
    replied
    Yeah, I kinda had to get rid of mine. it wouldn't fit anyway with the height of the gixxer engine.

Leave a comment:

• The CyberPoet
    replied
    The rubber sheet plays a few roles, including helping keep water from the coils and acting as a heat barrier between the valvs and the PAIR valve and/or tank. I've owned two Kat 600's (an '00 and an '01) and worked on various other riders' bikes in this area (Kat6, Malloc, etc) and the only one that I've seen which had the rubber sheet was Malloc's California-model 750 (it wasn't on either of mine, including the '00 which I bought new). I think ample dielectric grease at the coil connectors should be sufficient, since I live in monsoon-central (Florida in the summer) and have never had electrical issues without the rubber sheet, but it's your call... Funny thing: I've looked through the various fiche files for the Kats and never seen that rubber sheet in any of them...

As for the sheath on the oil line, I never consciously noticed it before but I guess it is stock (see the pics from KR - How clean is the inside of your engine?, where you can see the same sheath on the left side on mine). Why Suzuki would sheath one and not the other is beyond me...

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet

Leave a comment:

• UFO8MyCow
    replied
    I dont know if it actually does any good or not but I convinced Lou to throw his away becouse I didnt want to deal with it again. and I wouldnt worry about the oil hoses.

Leave a comment:

• Teh_K
    started a topic Strange rubber cover over engine...

Strange rubber cover over engine...

So, I'm in the middle of doing my very 1st valve adjustment (2 days off and on so far - hey, I'm slow and thorough), and I've come to my 1st dilemma. There's this strange rubber slab that's laying over my engine, and I am wondering if it's disposable (as in, I can take it off and never use it again). I ask because it has done nothing but get in the way so far, and I can't imagine it doing much good other than to retain heat. Maybe it keeps debris away or something, I dunno. But, here's a picture of it:

I did a quick search, and CyberPoet has mentioned it being something with Cali models, but to my knowledge mine's not a Cali model. But, I've been known to be wrong. Perhaps CP can fill me in on this (I want all the juicy details)

Another question, is it okay if one of my oil hoses has a sheath around it and the other doesn't? I assume it is, but just want to make sure. Again, here's a photo:

Thanks!
Working...
X