X

Time to replace battery?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to replace battery?

Ok so I've been doing some reading about batteries online and in the service manual because I have pretty much zero knowledge on non-sealed batteries. I was hoping some of you could help me decide what's going on.

I tried to start the bike (a pre 750) today after it had been sitting a little over a week in the garage. Lights, etc are fine. The bike will crank but not start. Tried priming the petcock, no go.

I removed the battery and did some reading to educate myself about batteries. Couple things I've noticed so far - the battery had no vent-tube attached as shown in the manual, which would explain the light spatter on the left side of the battery and the portion of the battery tray that is corroded and covered in dried white stuff (battery acid?). Luckily the tray still seems pretty strong, but I can't find a loose vent tube in the bike. Second, I cannot see any liquid level through the translucent battery box. There are 7 capped holes in the top, 6 in a row and one off to the side. That's pretty much all I've been able to figure out on my own so far!
    1993 GSX750F

Pop the 6 caps off and fill the battery back up with distilled water to the fill line. Do Not use regular tap water. Regular tap water will kill the battery. Distilled water can be had at most drug stores for about a buck and change for a gallon. As for the vent tube, put on any tubing that will fit on the nipple and route it down and let it hang out of the bottom of the bike a few inches. Check the voltage of the battery, if its low, you might need to short charge it with a tender or some other charger. Low voltage would still alow the bike to crank but not enough for the CDI to fire off correctly.

As for the crap on the tray, either get some coca cola and pour it on there and then wash it off or get some battery terminal cleaner spray. Either way however, you should wash off the acid, Also look further downward.. Frame, Swingarm ect for any other places the acid got sprayed to and clean them as well.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I'm having the same problem. Lights, blinkers work and it wanted to kiba turn over but wouldn't crank all the way. Also tried jumping the bike off with the truck but that ain't workin. Good luck with this
      sigpic

Comment

Mine took a crap also, only ready 5 volts after a good long charge.... No body stocks a battery for a Pre!
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
          No body stocks a battery for a Pre!

Have you gone over to CP's website to look at what he listed as alternatives?

Scroll down to batteries.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
          X